1st day @ work tomorrow! Tell me it will be OK! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mildly freaking out... I probably shouldn't be.  Baby is 5 and a half weeks old.  She knows how to take a bottle.  I have an abundant supply.  She will be cared for well while I'm at work.  Yet I'm feeling frazzled and overwhelmed and nervous and anxious!

I work for a photography company.  I go back tomorrow.  I'll be gone from her for 10 hours tomorrow.  I'll be able to nurse her immediately before I leave, and will be able to pump 2 hours later, pump again on my lunch, and pump again 2 hours before I see here again.  

I'm worried I won't be able to pump enough at work.  I'm not sure how much milk to leave with her, even!  I have those 2.5oz medela storage bottles, I was thinking of leaving her 6 of them, just in case.  That's 15oz.  I pump every morning, and usually get about 5oz, sometimes 4oz.  And I won't be working daily- 4 days/wk at most.  I'll be able to pump 5oz in the AM and be able to replace the remaining 10oz through pumping at work- I'll be able to do at least 2.5 during the first session, at least 5oz during my lunch, and at least 2.5 during the third session.

BUT I'M SO FREAKED OUT IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY!

Next weekend I will be gone from her for 12 hours.  Our company is doing a special event.  I'll have to leave her with DH at 3am.  I might not be able to pump until 9am.  Keep in mind that I have a huge oversupply that is the worst in the AM (which is why I pump 5oz every morning *on top* of nursing, and I'm still kinda full afterwards).  Since this isn't a typical thing (special event), and I'll usually have a good pumping routine, I'm not going to go whining to HR about it.

I'm not worried about the 6hrs without nursing/pumping impacting my supply- I'm worried about leaking all over the place.  I have to wear a light colored cotton-twill button down- not ideal for hiding leaks!  It's not form-fitting though, so I'll hopefully be able to wear a tank top and bra and umpteen nursing pads in there until I'm able to pump.  I may be able to wear my company-issue black fleece sweater on top of it, so that would definitely help me out as far as concealing leaks go!

So anyone want to offer tidbits of advice?  BTDT? Help!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 7 Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Wow, it's great that you have a good supply. Breastmilk is all about supply and demand, so if you're missing intervals on 6 hours at a time, it may dwindle, but quickly come back once your little one returns to the breast and you pump frequently, like you mentioned. IF you notice a decrease, I highly recommend fenugreek, it's a liquid supplement that can be added to juice or water. :)

And definitely bring a lot of disposable nursing pads because you will be leaking. If at all possible, try to take a break to pump. You can become engourged easily if you have an oversupply. 

Otherwise, you sound like you have a great plan for maintaining you breastfeeding relationship, which is so great! I send you hugs and high fives and well wishes all around. What is the most your little one has taken from a bottle at one time? That is the amount I would leave for each feeding, if not more....just in case. Obviously, that number in ounces will increase as she grows. :)

Good luck to you!

#3 of 7 Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 PM

congratulations on your sweet LO. I'm a SAHM but had difficulties at the beginning and EPd for DD for the first ten weeks. Please check out kellymom about some great breastfeeding/pumping info to help establish a strong nursing relationship and avoid some common problems with working and pumping. It's great that you have an abundant milk supply but feeding baby too much may carry a risk of developing bottle preference later, so please check this link out on how much milk to leave baby:
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
It's a good idea to leave an extra bottle but make it clear to DCP that that is over and above what you expect baby to take most of the time.
In fact here is some great info on bottle feeding the breastfed baby that you should discuss with the DCP to give your BFing relationship the best support.
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

It will be all right :-) I'm sure you have a wonderful DCP, your LO will be fine and you will too (outside of some leaks). Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Bring a scarf in case you need to cover up! 

Good luck!  hug2.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 11:26 AM

And just remember how badly you wanted to go back, and the reasons why, in your previous post. smile.gif Maybe refreshing that will make you feel better?

Would you not even get a bathroom break thse first 6 hrs? With OALD, I can pump off a lot in just a few mins, to stave off from leaking. Just a suggestion. Good luck, I'm sure it'll all be just fine.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well today went fine.. I didn't pump until 7.5 hours after I nursed dd and I got 10oz. I pumped 5oz this morning as I do every morning, so I was able to match the milk I left for DD (I left 15oz). I had to work outdoors today and I was just too cold during my break. I could have pumped a little before work but didn't feel like it..

I'll do better next time. I know now that it's not as scary as I thought it was!

#7 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, baby only took 7.5oz of milk today, surprise surprise!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page