Mothering Forum banner

stabbing pain in one breast, very small sore, cant be the cause can it? HELP!

768 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Mosaic 
#1 ·
so i have a few things probbly going in, but breastfeeding is unbearable toture, so you gals have to help me!!

i have sharp sharp pain in one nipple, breast itself might be a tab sore, hard to tell casue the nipple now hurts so bad.

details:

• so im prememstral probably, actually a bit over due (not preggo, i tested 3 times to be sure) cycle has been erratic this fall and i have had a super stressful month that probably delayed things.
  • have been having nursing pain in the few days before AF for a while so i thought that is all it was at first
  • nursing 22m twins, so you can imagine how much my nipples go thru and how it is impossible for my to give one side a rest for too long
  • i seem to have a tiny sore in top right near the base of my nipple, i thought it was one of my piercing scars at first, now i see that it isn't, but it is just a tiny round dot, looks a tiny bit infected, but again, nothing bad.
  • the really sharp and maybe knda shooting pain actually seems on the bottom side maybe, its so overwhelming it actually hard to tell where it is. but when i prod around when not nursing, i will say the small sore is not the only par tthat hurt, its not much worse than any other part.
  • postion of nursing does not seem to affect he pain, it just all hurts like hell
  • now today it hurts around the clock, this has been going on for maybe 3 days?
  • breast tissue is not generally any more painful that i would expect premenstral
  • milk seems to be coming in and getting out fine, no complaints, no plugged ducts.
  • kids have the sniffled right now, but otherwise we are all well.
  • i have been under huge stress emotionally the last few weeks

anyway, ideas for what s going on? ideas how to get to go away? how to deal with the pain in the meanwhile???

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you struggled with yeast or staff infections? The sore causes me to think staph and the stabbing pains sounds like yeast. I'd begin by taking agrisept encapsulated and use caution bc it's a detox so if your Los begin committing, reduce your intake of agrisept. It will help with any kind of infection. It's safe for you and babes but they will get it through your milk. I'd also call LLL they may have some suggestions as well.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel1288 View Post
I'd begin by taking agrisept encapsulated and use caution bc it's a detox so if your Los begin committing, reduce your intake of agrisept. It will help with any kind of infection. It's safe for you and babes but they will get it through your milk. I'd also call LLL they may have some suggestions as well.
it is not sore right were the milk comes out and i can easy squeeze some milk out and it looks fine too. i have pretty mild let down sensations these days, unless it is right after AF starts and my milk surges back from a mild lull it takes the week before. but in any case my let down feels normal as well and seems to be the same as i would expect

i have not has any real yeast infections, maybe some super mild UTI here and there, nothing that has needed treatment. i also have not had a staph infection since i was i kid that i know of. the bold section above does not make sense to me, is that I'll read up on it.

#5 ·
I had my only breast tenderness/milk blister when my AF was returning. I could get milk out, even with the blister. BUT, I did feel like my duct was blocked - I could feel this warm blockage deep in my breast. If you want to experiment, hot, hot showers, massage and nursing seemed to help.

#6 ·
i am sadly very familiar with what a blocked duct feels like, i have had many and have a very good system for getting rid of them, this is nothing like that. as a side not this is my "good" boob, the other one gets blocked ducts on a regular basis, this one has only ever had on or two and they are very high up, very far away from the nipple when it happens.

#8 ·
If you have a visible laceration I would bet money that it is the source of your pain. Is the pain worse when the babe latches on to nurse? For me, that is the painful part. Pain continues through nursing and lessens when not nursing but it is still there. Usually this takes a week or more to heal. It can help a bit to apply something like Neosporin.

Even a very small sore can be very painful.

#9 ·
Oh, and BTW, I think we mamas can sometimes forget that an Advil (or the like) can sometimes help to pass a bit of pain. I don't know about you but I always forget about that sort of treatment for anything other than a headache. I hope you figure it out and feel better soon!!

#10 ·
the strange thing is a swear the sore was not there yesterday , becasue i was looking really hard to see if i had a bite mark or something and saw nothing, but today i see it. i totally get how a tiny thing can hurt like hell, like a hang nail or paper cut can ruin a whole day! but the pain has been about 3 days and geting worse pretty consistently, used to hurt only when nursing, not all the time.

yes it hurts way more when they nurse (but not just at the sore), does not calm down till way after, i have been putting lanolin on it and that seems to feel good. after the morning nursing i will but some neospoin type stuff on it casue they wont nurse again till nap at 1.

going to take some advil now and head to bed, hopefully they will be nice and not wake to nurse tonight! ha!

#11 ·
actually feeling slightly better this morning, my son must have gotten the message and he slept all night so that nipple got about 11 hours of no nursing! the little sore looks less red as well. everything is still tender, i'll keep a very close eye on it still

Reactions: IdentityCrisisMama
#12 ·
Everything calmed down once my period started, it's crazy how painful that got!! The whole time I just kept thinking of moms that have pain while nursing at first or problems like yeast and such and feel so bad for them, it never really hurt for me, was intense the first few times they got a true latch, but otherwise fine. I'm super lucky, I dot know how long as a brand new mom I could have suffered like I did last week.

#13 ·
I had something that sorta sounds like what you experienced: shooting pain and general achiness for several days that does not seem associated with injury, infection, etc.?

I went to a LC when I couldn't take it anymore, and she explained that I'd likely developed a pain syndrome in response to either acute trauma or lousy nursing.
smile.gif
As a result, my nerve endings were going berserk and causing loads of pain. If you've been nursing twins for so long, I wonder if maybe you had the same thing. (My DD was around 23 months as well, and I only had one!!) The "cure" was to load up on ibuprofen for a few days, taking it every 6 hours, to basically surpress the nerve endings freaking out and try to give my breasts a break as much as possible. It did work, and fortunately that pain hasn't come back.
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.