5 mo BF baby- regular yucky poop... What could be causing it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son just turned 5 months old. He is breastfed, and is about to start on solids (cereal and breast milk- taking his ques that he's ready). It's been years since I last nursed, and I guess I didn't really think something was wrong until recently. Pretty regularly his bowel movements are more green tinged (yellow-green, green-green, and brown-green, though can be more brown or mustard colored at times too) and slimy/mucousy (no blood). I guess I didn't freak out about it after awhile because he has always been growing and gaining weight great, and is not a very 'fussy" baby- he can get fussy but is easy to soothe, and is often a very content and happy little guy. He has NEVER had a diaper rash, he doesn't ever seems excessively gassy/colicky, he's never gotten sick despite our 3 older boys having bugs on and off over the past 5 months- yay breast milk- and he sleeps well, though he's more of a multiple-short-naps sort of baby. 

He is teething REALLY bad right now. I have to change his clothes several times a day due to drooling .I read the excess saliva can cause these issues, along with allergens passed on through the mother's milk. My oldest son has dairy sensitivities, but when he was a bf baby his bowel movements were normal. I am kind of wary of doing a diet elimination right this moment because if it is possibly the teething/ saliva, if I remove dairy etc and his teeth pop in the next few weeks and his bowel issues clear up- It would be a tough call to say which one it was! But I am asking to see if this is a normal occurrence in times of teething, or if green really sends up a red flag for allergens in the breast milk.

He is also "comfort nursing" a lot because of his gums lately- especially at night- and thought that could also contribute (eating too much inadvertently while basically teething on my boobs!)

So please- any experience or advice? I plan to ask his doctor about it... But while I really like her, she often doesn't have a lot of advice in the way of food sensitivities/allergens. At least in regard to my past experiences.

Thank you!

#2 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How is his weight gain?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 AM

Teething caused my DD to have green mucusey poops. Weight was great for her. I would assume teething. I also have a fast let down.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Fast letdown can cause that? His weight gain is great- he was 8 lb 6 oz at birth and is well over 15 lbs at 5 mos, possibly 16 by now.

#5 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM

We had some issues with too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk because of oversupply and super fast let down which caused green poops. I did block feeding for a while - nurse 2-3 times on one side then switch to the other.

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#6 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

We had some issues with too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk because of oversupply and super fast let down which caused green poops. I did block feeding for a while - nurse 2-3 times on one side then switch to the other.

This was it for us, too.  I ended up doing blocks as long as 8 hours or more on one side!  But be careful with that, as it will reduce your supply.  Here is a link with some symptoms: https://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

DS got HUGE super fast, I think related to so much foremilk.  He would sometimes clamp down, arch his back, or only do short feedings, though.  Also, sometimes he would unlatch, and I'd let the milk spray onto a burp cloth for a while until the flow slowed, then put him back on.  Good luck!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#7 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM

DD was over birth weight at one week, so got huge really fast as well. She was super gassey.

#8 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Do you take an iron supplement? They can turn ebf poop green and slimy. If he isn't uncomfortable/rashy I wouldn't be to concerned.

#9 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM

A certain dairy product gave DS yucky stools.

Then a vaccine reaction also did.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page