Nursing Schedule at 3 months? - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding > Nursing Schedule at 3 months?
ZoeStarshine's Avatar ZoeStarshine 09:36 AM 11-25-2012

It has always been my understanding that babies are supposed to nursed on demand - as an adult, I don't even find myself eating on a schedule, let alone force my 3-month-old baby onto one. DD has been sleeping through the night of her own volition since she was seven weeks old - at least five hours, but more often seven or eight. She also nurses anywhere from every hour (from the start of one feeding to the start of the next) to every two and a half.

I went into see her new pediatrician yesterday and ended up seeing her assistant physician who seemed surprised that I wasn't bothered at all about how often/much I feed DD and that I don't keep track of feedings and can only guess how often they are, because I keep track of diapers instead. She asked me if DD was "well hydrated" and I stared blankly at her, confused, until she said, "How often do you give her water?"

I told her, "Not at all because she's exclusively breastfed" and then she told me I needed to space out the feedings to at least every two hours so DD didn't become overweight. I was under the impression that weight was not something you worried about infants unless it was a failure-to-thrive scenario.  I see online the recommendation is "6-9 feedings per day", but it just seems kind of silly to have to count them and space them out instead of just... I don't know, feeding her when she's hungry. Am I being too flippant about this? She also seemed surprised I had no problems to complain about at all, asked me if she was gassy, colicky, excessively hungry, etc. and all I could think was no, she's such a perfect baby and no trouble at all (and this coming from a woman dealing with anxiety and a very stressful financial situation).

FWIW, DD is 24.5 inches tall (5.5 inches in height growth since birth) and 12 lbs, 8 oz (6 lbs in weight gain since birth).

tanyam926's Avatar tanyam926 10:35 AM 11-25-2012
You are right, she was wrong. Unfortunately most drs know less than nothing about breastfeeding and offer uneducated opinion instead of factual advice.

You are doing great, barring any issues that need to be worked out breastfeeding can be like your experience for most women. Find a la leches league group in your area. Not only will you be strengthened and validated but you have a lot to offer other moms and are a great example of trusting your instincts. Keep up the great work mama!
ancoda's Avatar ancoda 10:59 AM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

You are right, she was wrong. Unfortunately most drs know less than nothing about breastfeeding and offer uneducated opinion instead of factual advice.
You are doing great, barring any issues that need to be worked out breastfeeding can be like your experience for most women. Find a la leches league group in your area. Not only will you be strengthened and validated but you have a lot to offer other moms and are a great example of trusting your instincts. Keep up the great work mama!

I agree.
Every one of my babies had days on end where they seemed to eat constantly and then they would build up my supply a bit and space out a bit, but they rarely were willing to go more then about 90 minutes between feedings during the day and it was not uncommon for them to finish eating and then want to eat again within a half hour.
MichelleZB's Avatar MichelleZB 05:15 PM 11-25-2012

You're doing fine, Zoe. The whole advantage of breastfeeding is that you don't keep track. By 3 months, I wasn't even counting the diapers. Eating too much is never a problem, either. Is your assistant physician really old? How come she isn't up on her info?

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 05:41 PM 11-25-2012

You are doing great momma. She doesn't sound likes she know much about breastfeeding or infant nutrition. 

Sol_y_Paz's Avatar Sol_y_Paz 12:32 PM 11-27-2012

You are doing great.  See if there is a group near you of experienced moms if you want more support.

http://www.llli.org/webus.html

Up