What my dh's grandmother told me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We went to my inlaws for Thanksgiving and my dh's grandmother was talking to me about nursing and feeding the baby. She said when she had her kids (would've been in the late 50's and early 60's) that the hospital told her that her breastmilk was nothing but water. She said she leaked constantly and that made them want to test it and they told her that she had to use formula because her kids wouldn't survive on her milk because there was just nothing to it. I told her that I never heard such a thing and that seemed crazy. I wasn't sure what to think of that. I told my dh and he said the hospital probably got something if they pushed formula. What does everyone else think of that? 

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 11-25-2012, 06:24 PM

Wow, that's awful! But not unheard of sadly, from that time period.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 23 Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

mecry.gif

I leak all the time and have bf'ed six children. My mom was told she couldn't make enough milk for me, but she did go on to nurse my little sis for 1 year.

#4 of 23 Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM

If they tested what she was leaking, it would have been foremilk. That is, I believe, mostly water and lactose, designed to keep the baby's interest while the 'meal milk' is being made. Then there's the hindmilk ('dessert milk'). All important, and all different. One cannot make an accurate assessment about all three from just one. That may not have been known in those days. Now we know about all the types of breastmilk, and the importance of each!
#5 of 23 Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM

My grandmother, who raised 4 children during the same time period (50s and 60s) was told by the doctor that she couldn't breastfeed.  She doesn't know why (or maybe she does - my mother, who related the story to me, doesn't know why).  So she raised her four children on homemade formula made from evaporated milk and corn syrup.

She has been nothing but supportive of me breastfeeding my dd.  In fact, when she saw an offer I made on facebook to donate milk to another mom (through Eats on Feets), she told me how proud she was of me.

I had a lot of trouble beginning to breastfeed (flat nipples, no latch, shallow latch, cracked nipples, significant weight loss, jaundice, etc) and our nursing relationship only survived because of the help of a wonderful IBCLC.  I wouldn't have had that help if I'd done it in the 50s.

Wife to my best friend, mama to DD (6/29/12)

#6 of 23 Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM

what do i think of it? 

it's sad that she missed out. it's sad that she was forced into formula. it's sad that doctors and nurses are so sadly misinformed and misguided, and just... lacking in common sense.

we are mammals. one of the key components of being a mammal is nursing your baby. 

duh! to the doctors and nurses who *still* don't get this.

Bokonon likes this.
#7 of 23 Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM

My mom started nursing my brother, then had mastitis and was told to wean because of the infection. I don't think she even tried with me because of that. So sad. I'm still nursing my 20 month old and I'm about 7 weeks pregnant. I'd hate to know what drs would have said about that in the 70's and 80's!
#8 of 23 Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM

My grandmother told me a very similar story.  She said that her doctor encouraged her to nurse her 6 babies for the first 3 weeks, but then said she needed to wean because her milk had turned from "whole to skim" and wouldn't be enough.  She said she always felt like a failure because of it :(  The longest she nursed any of her babies was 6 weeks.  Whenever I talk to her on the phone she always asks if my 28 month old is nursing.  When I say yes, she says "Good for you!  That's the best for him."  Amazingly, her sister nursed her only child for almost 5 years.  I think that adds to my grandmas feelings of inadequacy :(

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#9 of 23 Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post

My grandmother told me a very similar story.  She said that her doctor encouraged her to nurse her 6 babies for the first 3 weeks, but then said she needed to wean because her milk had turned from "whole to skim" and wouldn't be enough.  She said she always felt like a failure because of it greensad.gif  The longest she nursed any of her babies was 6 weeks.  Whenever I talk to her on the phone she always asks if my 28 month old is nursing.  When I say yes, she says "Good for you!  That's the best for him."  Amazingly, her sister nursed her only child for almost 5 years.  I think that adds to my grandmas feelings of inadequacy greensad.gif

I think it's terrific that she's being so supportive!! It can be so difficult when someone who was discouraged from nursing turns around and repeats that with their relatives.

That praise goes to all who give support and encouragement to others when they were treated the opposite way!
#10 of 23 Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post

My grandmother told me a very similar story.  She said that her doctor encouraged her to nurse her 6 babies for the first 3 weeks, but then said she needed to wean because her milk had turned from "whole to skim" and wouldn't be enough.  She said she always felt like a failure because of it :(  The longest she nursed any of her babies was 6 weeks.  Whenever I talk to her on the phone she always asks if my 28 month old is nursing.  When I say yes, she says "Good for you!  That's the best for him."  Amazingly, her sister nursed her only child for almost 5 years.  I think that adds to my grandmas feelings of inadequacy :(

like, how did the doctor "know" that the milk turned from whole to skim? did he try it himself? so SAD. but your grandma is a hero in that she is encouraging you!!

#11 of 23 Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

like, how did the doctor "know" that the milk turned from whole to skim? did he try it himself? so SAD. but your grandma is a hero in that she is encouraging you!!

Exactly!  How on earth would he know?  Plus, how does something that is perfect and working great (healthy, chubby baby, etc), suddenly stop working just because the baby has reached a certain age?  Very sad.  My own mother had her children in the 70's and 80's, and even then, her doctors criticized her for breastfeeding and one even told her, "fine, if you want to look and act like a gorilla, go right ahead!"  Luckily she saw that as a compliment and nursed me and my two siblings anyway.

EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#12 of 23 Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM

It makes me wonder how much trust we can put in the medical community, when the history of medicine is littered with stories like this. I wonder what will shock people in 50 years...
#13 of 23 Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM

My grandma told me a similar story. In 1948 her doctor had her express some into a cup, told her it was too watery and that she had to supplement with formula after every feed. She said that it was so overwhelming that the nursing didn't last long.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#14 of 23 Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjunker View Post

It makes me wonder how much trust we can put in the medical community, when the history of medicine is littered with stories like this. I wonder what will shock people in 50 years...

Not related to breastfeeding, but I read an article in a Parenting magazine that stated up until the late 80's infants going in for surgery were not given anesthesia, only a paralytic drug so they would not move. As doctors didn't believe babies felt pain the way adults do. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#15 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 PM

My DH's grandmother said something pretty similar. When DD1 was born she told me to watch out because her milk "turned to water" around 5 months after her 1st baby was born. I asked what she meant and turns out that they baby's growth slowed and that's the reason the dr gave her. She was instructed to switch to formula or her baby wold starve.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#16 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

And how did the world survive before formula??

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#17 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM

They didn't buy formula. They made formula then. It was milk, water and corn syrup. It had to be boiled and put into sterilized bottles. It certainly wasn't convenient.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#18 of 23 Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM

My grandma told me all about making formula! She said her oldest was colicky and so the doctor adjusted the "formula" -- ratio -- all the time.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#19 of 23 Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjunker View Post

circumcision...

#20 of 23 Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 PM

frankly people still think that after one year your milk is way less nutrias, yet i have seen detailed studies that say it is nearly the same, and this is not from anti extended nursing types, but rather LLL leaders and midwives. so the mis info is still out there.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#21 of 23 Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 AM

LLL leaders?!? Thinking breastmilk is less nutritious after 1 year?!? That's awful!!
#22 of 23 Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM

its actually in the LLL breastfeeding book i think, they dont say to stop at all, but just that it changes and to count on it as a single source less. but yeah totally wrong according to the medical studies i have seen and horrible to tell folks.  i know that in the first year of food, there were many days that they did not eat that much and it was so reassuring to me to know they still nursed so much and that it was super nutritious and one way or the other they always got what they needed.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#23 of 23 Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I overheard my stepmom telling her daughter that "breastfeeding is just too hard on the mom's body. It makes her too weak. That's what my doctor told me [in the 60s] and he is the still the smartest guy in town"

My ex-bf's dad noticed that "weightlifting" powder had the same stuff in it as formula in 1970, but was much cheaper, so that's what he bought for the kiddo. It explains SO MUCH!! His mom was told that liberated women don't nurse babies as it makes being a career-woman too hard (in 1970).

My own mom, bless her heart, went against popular advice and bf'ed in 1970, but nobody in town could head-up a chapter of LLL because of some reason (could have been no experience tandem nursing, or nursing past age 2...one of those) so she and some buddies were in the newspaper as a "nursing mothers group". Even then, however, after 1 it was seen as "weird" by most of her friends.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page