Planning to BF until at least 2yo, how long to pump at work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was blessed to be able to stay home with DD1 until she was 18mos then work PT.  I'm now working "PT" and nursing twins who are 8mos actual (6.5 adjusted).  I'd like to keep BFing until at least 2yo, but can't remember what the norm is with pumping at work--should I continue to pump after they turn 1?  I will not be introducing cow milk as they are intolerant.  They nurse every 2 hours when we are together and I plan to continue on demand until weaning.  TIA.

Me and DH, parents to:

DD1 (06/09), Twin DD2 and DS1 (born 3/12- 6 weeks early due to IUGR)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM

It kind of depends on your babes.

DD is 2 1/2 and we still nurse once per day.

She stopped taking expressed milk from a bottle at around one though, so I stopped pumping then.

I pumped a little more to have on hand in freezer just in case, but there was no need for me to continue my pumping schedule at that point.

She still nursed when we were together though. She just became uninterested in taking it from a bottle any further.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

I can't remember--will stopping pumping at 1 when we are apart affect my supply when we are together?  I.e. will it decline across the board or will my body simply adjust for the periods we are apart?

Me and DH, parents to:

DD1 (06/09), Twin DD2 and DS1 (born 3/12- 6 weeks early due to IUGR)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think most working moms stop pumping at one year and then most transition to a fairly heavy use of supplemental milk, generally cow's. At a year DS was heavily bm dependent and on hardly any solids, I pumped until 18m and I think I had milk for another milk.  I was already deeply sad and conflicted about working and I just hated the idea that he wasn't getting his fair share of bm and I am endlessly baffled by the role of cow's milk in toddler development. He never drank cow's milk in any quantity and by that diet had a good diet. Sadly he weaned very soon after I stopped pumping. Early pregnancy + stopping pumping killed my supply.

I pumped unti 2 with my second and she continued to nurse for almost another year and self-weaned gently right before 3. She drank some cow's milk but gave it up as soon as we discontinued bottles after 2. Again, pregnancy played a big role. 

Pumping wasn't a big deal for me. I have a private office/refrigerator etc. and as much as I loathe pumping (who doesn't?) I liked giving them bm more. 

Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM

When I stopped pumping around 1 yr, I did not supplement with other milks. She nursed plenty while with me, so I didn't feel it was necessary. We did offer her coconut or almond milk on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankfulMama View Post

I can't remember--will stopping pumping at 1 when we are apart affect my supply when we are together?  I.e. will it decline across the board or will my body simply adjust for the periods we are apart?

It effected my supply, but only to adjust for the time we were apart. I had plenty of milk for when we were together. Your body is supply and demand, so will adjust to how much you feed baby.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 AM

I stopped pumping at 13 months with DD and my supply did adjust, but I was able to nurse her as much as I wanted when I was with her no problem. We did at that time switch her to cow's milk from sippy cups, so if your babes are intolerant, you may either want to pump longer or find another good substitute they will tolerate. And there is nothing wrong with choosing to pump longer, but I know I felt I had pumped long enough and was more than ready to be done!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List