I was told to ween my 11 month old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been struggling with an issue with my left breast nipple to be exact its been extremely painful and at times lumpy if that makes sense there are these white looking lesions that come and go almost like cracks in my nipple that turn white and every time Ive gone to the hospital or a urgent care they send me home saying nothing is wrong to just try stopping breastfeeding since she is almost 1 anyway. I just want to know why Ive been experiencing these issues now I have dr.'s telling me to stop breastfeeding like thats an easy thing to do its so frustrating.

Quote:
I love my life as a mom & wife familybed2.gifjoy.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 AM

Is it just the nipple that's painful, or does the pain extend into the breast?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

at times my whole breast hurts and I get these lumps in different spots its weird but the pain in my nipple is the worst it shoots to my breast and its like a stabbing pain it brings me to tears at times also I have unusual bumps around the aureole I'm just so frustrated that no can figure it out cause I know something is wrong.

Quote:

Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

It could be plugged ducts and possible mastitis. Try warm baths or a hot, relaxing shower while massaging the breast. 

Also look into a site like Kellymom for resources for troubleshooting BFing problems. Even just Google your symptoms and then use Kellymom (or the like) to get treatment advice. 

Don't listen to the doctors. If it is plugged ducts, for instance, stopping BFing will make it WORSE!  

Do you think you may be getting your period back? I got my first (ever) case of plugged ducts when I got my period back after my second child. I think it was a combination of hormones and perhaps some changes in nursing patterns. For me, a hot bath and massage is the cure. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Another common BFing complication is thrush. I've not had that though but you could also look that up to see...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Sounds like thrush to me. It is treatable. No need to stop BFing. See if you can get an appointment with a lactation consultant, preferably one with the  "IBCLC" certification. Good luck!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Another vote for "sounds treatable".  If it can't be treated it's totally possible to only nurse on your right side.  Your breasts will probably become different sizes, but it won't hurt your kiddo or you.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM

can you find a la leche leader in your area, someone that can be supportive of your breastfeeding and has seen a lot of things, she can help you with what to ask your doctors for if you need more care than her advice?

http://www.llli.org/web/california.html

it can be a handful of things and can drive you nuts just trying everything. it would be great to just get to the bottom of it and then take the often very simple steps to address that.  and yeah, like others have said it rarely requires quitting breastfeeding and quitting, specially suddenly can make a lot of breast issues way way worse.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would recommend getting an appointment with a lactation consultant. Many doctors don't know anything about the lactating breast and what's normal.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM

I also agree to see a lactation consultant or la leche league leader. Mastitis/plugged ducts or thrush both sound like possible culprits. Both are treatable and even if you end up nursing only one breast, it'll still be easier than mothering a toddler without nursing. I also get white cracks on my nipples from time to time just from a growth spurt or a sick kiddo who nurses a lot more suddenly. Other possible reasons for breast soreness could include an upcoming period or new pregnancy. Good luck! Weaning (especially abrubtly) might only make it worse.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with all of you ladies, & I'm just wishing that it didn't have to go on this long when it could of been treated. Then to be told to just quit! Who does that? Any way I'm definitely going to mention these options at my OB appointment tomorrow I know there is some kind of reason I'm in this pain. But I will plan on nursing my little love for as long as she demands it of me innocent.gif Thanks for taking time to comment.

Quote:

Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 AM

It is so hard when the people you expect to be in your corner: OBs, pediatricians, nurses, etc. just aren't with regards to breastfeeding. I hope you can get some good local support, but we'll all be here whenever you need online support hug.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Your insurance may cover a visit to or by a lactation consultant, since you are having pain. A good lactation consultant is probably better than an OB.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, That helps a lot shy.gif

Quote:

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my whole experience. So a couple weeks ago I went to see my O.B finally! He looked around my breast and determined it was a fungal/thrush and put me on tripple nipple oitment I was relieved at the thought of finally getting some relief. However that was not the case nothing was getting better I was still in a horrible amount of pain and started running high fevers. Being that my O.B said give it about 3 weeks for the ointment to work if problems progress come back. Well I couldn't wait that long. The other day I felt a pain in my arm that came from my armpit area I felt around the tender area and noticed swelling and lumpiness. I had enough after finding this. 3 months of feeling this pain and nothing getting better. I went in today and cried to my G.P and told her to please figure things out. She then examined both breasts and noticed right away the swelling and puss in my left nipple she took a culture and told me that I most likely have a sever bacterial infection. However she's waiting on results of my culture before starting my treatment. This confused me if its sever wouldn't you want to start treatment ASAP? Anyway just wanted to fill all you in thanks everyone who replied and if anyone has had a similar situation I would love your input and maybe a solution as to why she is waiting to treat me.

Quote:

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM

glad you didn't wait any longer, and it is actually good that your doc is bothering to culture it before treating, it lets them give you a more specific antibiotic that will work on what particular type they find rather than a overly strong "broad spectrum" type that would be more likely to cause a lot of unnecessary issues, including things like yeast and thrush issues ironically 

keep us posted

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

User Tag List