Is this normal for a breast fed baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds is almost 7 months and is exclusively breast fed.  For quite while now (think months) he has been having really thick poops.  We do EC, so I hold him over the toilet to poop and he really has to strain.  The come up like toothpaste being squeezed out of a tube would come out and then they stayed formed in the toilet.  If they were in a diaper, they would squish up, so they are not solid, just very, very thick.  He will have a few poops come out like that, and then finally a big poop that isn't form and seems more normal.  He goes days without pooping, and then will have one big poop session (with the thick, and then finally normal poop coming out).

The amount of straining he does worries me.  I'm afraid to feed him for fear he'll become constipated if he is already straining with just breast milk poops!  The other worrying thing is that every now and then he has a tiny bit of red blood in his poop.  This happened today but it hasn't happened for a couple of months.  It used to happen more often.  But it is always such a tiny amount and wonder if it is caused by the straining he does to poop.

Does anyone know if this is within the range of normal for breast fed babies or if I should be concerned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM

If I'm remembering correctly my kids did that, especially during a growth spurt.  They would just digest everything out of my milk so they would only poop every couple of days and it would be thick.  And my kids grunted and strained with their poops, even when they were runny.  shrug.gif

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM

did it suddnely get colder where you live? did you maybe just start having the heat on more and more?  my first winter with my babes they both got slightly dehydrated from the heated air and dry cold outside.  make sure you are very hydrated and maybe think about small amounts of water for the babe  as well?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Along the lines of Adorkables input, running a humidifier where baby sleeps while the furnace is on is a must around here. It's also great for keeping any mucus runny while baby has a cold.
As for the poops, my DD went through a phase where she only pooped once a week or less and then had a huge poo. Her poo stayed fairly soft but she also strained much of the time.
I wouldn't worry about the frequency of poo at all but I would try to get him a bit more hydrated since it seems like he is absorbing much of the water from his poo. Maybe offer to nurse more if he cut back recently and definitely offer sips of water when you introduce solids. The humidifier helps a lot so the sinuses/mouth don't dry out. Hth
#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, now that I think about it, it has probably been happening since the start of winter.  I am not that good at drinking enough water, I should work on that.  His poops often have the grainy, mustard seed things, and my first two stopped having that in their poops when they were much smaller, like a couple of months old.  Maybe he isn't getting enough foremilk when he drinks, perhaps because of me not drinking enough water.  Is that possible?  And than that combined with the cold.

What about the blood?  My guess is that it is from straining.  It doesn't happen often and is always a tiny amount when it does happen.  Any thoughts about that?

#6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM

The blood you describe sounds like its very little and infrequent. It's probably just tiny scratches from passing harder stool. I would work on hydrating him (and yourself) better to see if that helps. Softer stool should eliminate the little blood you see. Of course follow your instincts and see his dr if you feel something is wrong.
#7 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM

By exclusively breastfed, do you mean that he gets NO other food except breastmilk, or that breastmilk is the only fluid going in?  At 7 months many babies are reaching for food and managing to get some of it down; if this is the case, his body is probably just adjusting AND he could use a bit of extra water.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page