normal or not?? whats the scoop on poop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my fourth baby so I'd have thought I'd have this figured out by now...but no...

What exactly is mucously poo?

All my kids' poos had feel slippery and slimy when I scrubbed it off their clothes (whether they were yellow or green).

I'm trying to figure out if it has something to do with my milk or feeding. 

So my 4 week old started out with lovely yellow poos, which started switching to occasionally greenish ones at 2 weeks.  Now they seem to be more green than yellow.  And she is pretty fussy (but not nearly as fussy as my other daughter was - who screamed constantly).  I know she has a bit of reflux going on, becase I can see when she is very uncomfortable.  I'm pretty sure I have a bit of oversupply and overactive letdown and I've been block feeding almost from day one, but it isn't helping much.  With my other daughter I tried an elimination diet (tough because I'm a lacto-ovo veg) but that never did much good - granted I only lasted 2 weeks).

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM

My take after only two kids (with differences between the two) is green is not normal. Slimy isn't normal either. There's something upsetting somewhere in the digestive tract, and the seedy yellow is what is healthy. My son had seedy yellow, always, grew well, no issues. My daughter had dairy issues, reflux and tongue tie and poor growth. Her poop was not good. She went 10 days as a newborn without pooping (also not normal at that age, I did a lot of reading and searching on this). I rejoiced when here poop frequent and mustardy yellow, which didn't happen much.

If it happened again with our next baby, I would eliminate dairy first and start giving probiotics and try to get enough water for myself.  I struggled significantly with getting my DD to nurse enough bc of the tongue tie, so our help came in the form of her clipping, chiro and some manual therapy with CST to resolve her issues overall.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM

What I learned from my midwife with my nb's first green poo is that is shouldnt be green. In my case it was green bc my lo was having small little short feeds that didnt allow her to ger the fatty milk only the foremilk. I really didnt know how to get her to feed longer as whe she was super little she would get so tired after a few mins shed doze off. I read methods to get them to feed longer / stay awake that I wasnt comfortable with ie the wet clothe, u dressing them and so on. I tried blowing on her neck when shed start to doze off and it would kick start her again but only did this for a couple days when needed bc I did t feel right doing it. Eventually she just got used to feeding and green poo disappeared and only happens every blue moon now
#4 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM

This happened to us, as well. My daughter wasn't getting enough hindmilk because I had oversupply. A few days of block nursing (feeding from only one side for four hours at a stretch then switching sides) cleared this up for me. Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_mom View Post

This is my fourth baby so I'd have thought I'd have this figured out by now...but no...

What exactly is mucously poo?

All my kids' poos had feel slippery and slimy when I scrubbed it off their clothes (whether they were yellow or green).

I'm trying to figure out if it has something to do with my milk or feeding. 

So my 4 week old started out with lovely yellow poos, which started switching to occasionally greenish ones at 2 weeks.  Now they seem to be more green than yellow.  And she is pretty fussy (but not nearly as fussy as my other daughter was - who screamed constantly).  I know she has a bit of reflux going on, becase I can see when she is very uncomfortable.  I'm pretty sure I have a bit of oversupply and overactive letdown and I've been block feeding almost from day one, but it isn't helping much.  With my other daughter I tried an elimination diet (tough because I'm a lacto-ovo veg) but that never did much good - granted I only lasted 2 weeks).

My son had this and it slowly turned to green all of the time nothing worked. But his Dr said as long as he was gaining it was fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page