frozen breastmilk tastes funny... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have tried drops of my milk right after I have expressed it and it tasted fine.  Recently I tried some after it had been frozen and it tasted really strong, kinda soapy with a metallic aftertaste.  I only work 2x a week (fri&sat).  So the baby gets frozen, thawed milk the first day and fresh milk the second day.  We have noticed DS 3.5 months taking less and less from the bottle, could the taste be the cause or does this just taste bad to me?  I feel bad for him, I almost gagged on it.

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like possibly excess lipase, see here: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/

It isn't harmful, but some babies do not like the taste and some don't mind. There are suggestions in that link to get rid of the excess if you think that might be the cause of him taking less, but I would look into other possible reasons too!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List