Biological Nurturing aka Laid Back Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

anyone conciously follow this BFing model/practice/theory?

Before kids I did a lot of formal education and teaching of BFing in the standard 'western' upright style. 

In retrospect over time I assumed a more laid back BFing position with my first 2. My first was a wee little thing and we had major mouth/nipple size issues so I BFed in a more upright 'standard' position, but gradually started to do what worked better for us. With massive oversupply with my second I fed her while lying down on my back from the beginning. 

I've now discovered the book and work of Suzanne Colson. I plan to formally follow her book with my third baby. 

Anyone else aware of/use Biological Nurturing as a model for feeding their kids? Any tips for a new formal convert?

* evidence based crunch *

#2 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I know an IBCLC who really likes laid back breastfeeding and encourages it.  There was a really great video she showed in her classes.  I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it offhand.  It showed moms working with an LC to try it.  One baby latched on who was 3 months old and hadn't latched on properly since birth.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM

I did! I read about it before hand and it appealed to me. It came pretty naturally after the first few bumps in the road.
#4 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM

This didn't work for us with my huge boobs, although by the time she was about 5-6 months we were able to nurse with her body across mine (perpendicular to mine) when I was lying down/reclining. Now (19 months) she's too heavy for that and smooshes me. 

The material for this always kind of irked me because some sources make it out like this is the One True Way to nurse. It's one option among several. I think that some people get good results with it, but not everyone will and it's not the only way. Anyway. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#5 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

My son LOVES falling asleep for the night with this position. Bu I agree with above. It's just one position out of many great ones

#6 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for input. 

Curiously I have enjoyed the book as my interpretation is that it is more encompassing/encouraging of multiple positions/latches/etc than what is commonly taught (though all while tipped back on mama's sitz bones I guess). I hate how in the several nursing degrees and numberous certification courses in BFing I have taken, one is taught 'the right' latch and the 'right' positions. Even gurus like Dr Jack Newman advocate for a singularly 'good latch'. When I had my first baby in hospital (a super BF friendly one), they had a breastfeeding chair that looked more like a medival torture device (super upright). 

Maybe I'll post about my adventures in about 20 weeks when this little one is ready to join me in a BFing journey. :)

* evidence based crunch *

#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think a good latch is one where they are getting milk efficiently and not hurting you, so for that reason we tend to encourage young babies to take a good mouthful of boob when they latch. Once that's well established, you don't need to worry as much. My son sometimes does the "lazy toddler latch" where he's not really hungry, but wants to nurse for fun, so latches badly on purpose to slow the flow. When he's actually hungry, he goes back to "eating like a baby" and his latch becomes more traditional.

As for positioning, I find it pretty hilarious that there are actual "methods" for how to hold them while eating. I have fed my baby sitting in chairs and rocking chairs, couches, cars, and the floor, using cradle and cross cradle and football hold, with and without a nursing pillow. I have fed him side lying down on the bed or couch, semi-reclining with him on top of me, and dangling my breast in his mouth while crouching over him as he lies down on his back. I've fed him as he straddled my lap. I've held him while he nursed in one arm while walking around cooking or even brushing my teeth, I've fed him squatting on the floor with him balanced in my lap or while he's actually standing up, reaching for my breast as I lean forward in a chair. I've fed him while he was in the carrier, I've leaned over to feed him while he was in the car seat or when he was on the changing table, being changed by my husband.

Feed the baby sitting in whatever way you damn well feel like. The idea that there's one way to "position" a baby to nurse--even a newborn--is utter nonsense.

#8 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM

I think the positions arose to teach women who have never/rarely seen other women BFing that there was more than one way to do it, but instead of staying suggestions, they turned into these-positions-or-else which I agree is silly. I'm all about trying any position that will work and I tried some weird ones with DD and look forward to trying even more fun ones with twins smile.gif I do think laid back positions can be very nice if you have a spot setup to support you, I usually didn't have a spot set up, so I would just nurse in the best available seat wherever I was with whatever pillows I could grab nearby.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#9 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

To me, it seems like it is about more than positioning, it's about getting a good latch by letting the baby find its way natrually as opposed to holding your breast in one hand, the baby in the other and ramming your breast into the baby's open mouth (RAM being a latch-on technique that is also taught.)  That was my impression.  I couldn't say personally whether one method is better than the other just that they are different and one technique may not work for all moms.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Well, you can let the baby latch by him/herself in other positions, not just in that one. I don't think my daughter could have latched by herself when she was a newborn, with her teeny-tiny little mouth and my big flat nipples. We had to sandwich a chunk of areola between our fingers and poke it into her mouth. But she did learn to latch on her own when she was a little bigger. 

Honestly, the idea of the laid-back position with a newborn makes no sense to me whatsoever. They can't hold their heads up and it would seem they are just going to faceplant into your boob. Has anyone done this? It sounds like the "Nothing worked for me until this position" narratives often involve several weeks of trying other stuff, and in that time the baby is growing stronger, and when they are confronted with this brand-new position the novelty plus their newfound neck strength help them latch by themself. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page