freezer stash older than 6 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I have some milk in my freezer, i'd estimate 10-15 bags, 3-6  oz each. I got in a bad habit of not putting the date on my bags :( This was because I was pumping to donate, and I knew that it would quickly be gifted to a new family and be used up LONG before the date would need to be paid attention to. Well.. fast forward.. I'm now certain I have some milk older than 6 months. Probably around 9 months, but not much older than that. There's probably only 2-4 bags that are older than 6 months. Problem is, I have no way of knowing which ones! Its in the back of the freezer, just an ordinary one, not a deep freeze. I've heard that its obvious when milk is "bad".. thaw it and give it a sniff, and its obvious. I have no experience with this.. is this true? I would really like to give the milk away but I don't want to give anyone bad milk! I was thinking of offering it on human milk 4 human babies with a big fat disclaimer to give every thawed bag of milk a sniff test :/ And I will be dating every single bag from now on! And my most recent pump session I did date it ;) so there's a whopping 2 dated bags in the freezer. I know the demand for donor milk far exceeds the supply, so I cringe at dumping several bags of good milk just because we can't ID the old milk. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would guess that many moms, especially with older babies, would be happy to do the "sniff" test, or even taste it themselves to make sure it seem okay.  It is probably just fine - DH still pulls milk out periodically that is at least 2 years old (since I haven't pumped in at least that long) & my 4-year old happily drinks it when Mommy is not around & she's feeling sad.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Eh. I wouldn't worry much. Most experts thing a year a more and The quality starts to decline but it rarely spoils at that point.

User Tag List