Could Baby Not Sleeping Be Linked to My Calorie Intake? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a weird situation. DD is 7 months old. She is EBF (just started solids a few days ago and really she's just playing, not really ingesting much). She eats every 2-3 hours during the day. She weighs over 18 lbs (born at 9 lbs.) is happy, alert, totally on target developmentally, and growing consistently. By all accounts totally happy and healthy...but her sleep patterns suck. Most nights she wakes up every 30-60 minutes. Every once in awhile I'll get a full hour or two out of her. I'm so drained. My other two kids were like this but we eventually figured out their issues (DS has gluten and dairy sensitivities, DD is celiac) but DD is a mystery. I've tried everything I previously tried and more. She actually slept great until she was about 10 weeks old and then it went downhill fast. Granted that's kind of that age for sleep regression but it's only gotten worse. The big thing that changed during that time was that we moved 1600 miles. It started while I was staying with friends in the middle of the move. So weird.

It dawned on me today that around that time I started eating less. I was crazy busy, stressed, and just didn't have much of an appetite. Bad I know but my supply hasn't been an issue (I've even pumped extra recently) so it's been low on my priority list of things to address. Besides something I'm eating (which I've pretty much ruled out), could calories be an issue or maybe more fat in my diet (in theory leading to more fat or a different composition of fat in my breast milk)? Maybe the milk just isn't sticking with her and since she's not distracted (like she is during the day where she can go 2-3 hours between meals), she realizes that she wants to eat more?

Just throwing it out there hoping maybe someone else has run into this :) I need some sleep (and so does she)!

ETA: When she wakes at night she nurses virtually every time. So she ends up eating 12-15 times during a 24 hour period.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 2 Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To find out, increase your food intake. Also, make sure you are not mistaking a pause for being done during the day. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page