Ped says EBF baby overweight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey all, I've posted about this before, but at LOs 1 month appt his ped was very concerned that he had gone from 8 pounds 3 ounces at birth to 13+ pounds at 6 weeks. He told me to schedule feedings to every 3 hours because LO was gaining too quickly/over weight for his age. I did the smile, nod and have ignored this advice. LO is in 97th percentile in weight AND height and nurses on demand. I know there is nothing wrong with my baby.

We have the 2 month checkup this week and I'm anticipating catching more flak for having an "overweight" baby. Anyone have any good facts, links, resources I can present to the ped to get him off my case? Or is it best to continue my smile, nod routine?

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#2 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I got this with both my kids (neither of whom is still "overweight") and I just did the smile and nod thing. I got it worse with the younger one. I think with an increasing rate of childhood obesity, they are really gunning for this, but EBF babies are the wrong place to look. However, few doctors are well educated about breastfeeding.

Kellymom.com is a great resource for stuff like that, and I'd do a search there if you want stuff to show him if you want.

As an aside, I would feel uncomfortable with a pediatrican who told me to schedule breast feedings for a 1 month old baby.

#3 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd was in the 99% for weight and 97% for height and the doc said that I didn't have to feed her every time she cried. I told him that is what works. I didn't change anything and as she weaned and grew her weight came down. No biggie.
#4 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM

DS is 100th percentile. He has slowed down though now that he's over 12 months.
#5 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not at all worried about my baby. I know to follow his cues an trust that breast is best. I actually kinda felt like I should get a pat on the back for successfully breast feeding through latch problems and 3 bouts of mastitis! Totally harshed my mellow when he tried to tell me LO was overweight.

Anywhoodles, mamazee, I was very surprised at this attitude from this ped, I've always really respected his wait and see, hands off approach. I am trying to find another ped but no one had appts available til LOs 6mo checkup, so I'm stuck where we're at for now. I will check kellymom for some hard facts to defend my stance smile.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#6 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Well allow me to give you a pat on the back! Those are difficult obstacles to overcome. Way to go, Mom!

#7 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Yeah, just nod and smile and wait it out. Your baby will probably level off once he starts crawling, and it'll all blow over.

#8 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 04:42 PM

My kids were at the top of the weight chart till more like 3 or so. One was maybe 4. But they eventually got thinner. So long as they're BF and/or eating healthy food and get exercise, I wouldn't worry about charts. Kids are individuals and won't all show up right at 50%.

#9 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Geez, I wonder if my nephew gets flak, he's gotta be close to the same in weight and height too, he's just big for his age, but completely proportional! I'd say just keep nodding and smiling and ignoring. I wish doctors would look at their patients a bit more and the numbers a bit less!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#10 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My daughter was also large and chubby as a baby... Then just before age three suddenly shot up and slimmed down. She still breast feeds!
#11 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
We have the 2 month checkup this week and I'm anticipating catching more flak for having an "overweight" baby.

Do you feel like you need to go to the appointment? If there's not something you're concerned about, you could wait until you can get into someone better.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Had the appointment today. Baby is up to 15 pounds still in the same percentile. The doc didn't a say a thing about it. I'm wondering if maybe he was following protocol of some sort last time? Or maybe as long as we stay in the same percentile it's not a big deal? Makes me thankful I'm well informed and not that scared first time mama that does everything a doctor says wink1.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#13 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM

Good for you! I was told by a ped that I was going to give DS1 type 2 diabetes because I was nursing him too much eyesroll.gif. He's been off the charts for height/weight since birth, but I followed my instincts and kept nursing him on demand! He's now 6.5 and is now only mid-90s for both! Haha.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page