How often should I breastfeed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all, I recently had my first child just 2 1/2 weeks ago.  He was born weighing 6pounds 4 oz. As of our two week check up on Tuesday he still weighed the same.  Since birth he generally sleeps for 3-4 hours and upon awakening immediately wants to nurse.  I will sit down with him for 15-20 min. while he nurses.  Generally he'll fall asleep within 10minutes and I'll have to kinda wake him up to keep him eating.  Now here's my question...how often should I be feeding him?  My mother in law seems to think I should be feeding him every hour and a half.  She is 'really concerned about his weight and how he hasn't gained anything.'  At my two week check up, the doctor didn't say a word about his weight just asked how often he was eating.  I figured if the doctor was worried about his weight he would have said something about it.  My son sleeps and potty's just fine with no issues.  Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Jacquita

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I would just keep demand feeding at this stage. Regaining his birth weight by two weeks is totally fine. Some sources allow up to three weeks. If everything else seems fine I would weigh him in a week and make sure he's still gaining then.

If something changed and you were concerned earlier than that then I'd probably weigh him earlier just to see how things were going.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 PM

If he is peeing and pooping you're doing alright. Does he take big gulps of milk when he is nursing? Do you switch sides frequently? If you ate switching often he may only be getting
Primarily fore milk or the equivalent of two percent milk. To het more hind milk or full fat milk try using one side twice in a row. Does he seem really proficient at his short time at the breast or does he seem kind of mellow or lazy?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Babies usually lose weight immediately after birth and a breastfed baby should be back at birthweight 10-14 days after birth. That is why your doctor was not concerned. It sounds like your baby is perfectly on schedule. Here are some links that may help:

kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/enough-milk/

kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Your baby should nurse 10-12 times per day (24 hours)

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work Mama.

User Tag List