zomg... the leaking. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have experience with nursing but it's been a few years, and honestly I don't remember very well when I stopped leaking so copiously with DD1.  I always had some issues with milk coming out of my non-nursing breast, but I don't remember it being this bad.  DD2 is three weeks today and my milk has not slowed down at all yet... I try to nurse her on one side only for block feeding for about four hours at a time (per Kellymom) but the other breast always leaks like crazy.  I'm talking going through a nursing pad (both cloth and disposable) in a few minutes, even the heavy duty ones.  And of course DD2 gasps and spits up as well, although it doesn't seem to bother her too much (it bothers ME when she chomps down on the nipple... but usually I lay on my back with her to help with gravity and it's not so bad).  But forget about nursing in public, which I was comfortably doing with DD1 by about this time.  This time around, even going out in public is pretty bad, it's a good thing I wear her on my front because my shirt becomes soaked in a few minutes.

With DD1 despite the leaking, once she stopped night nursing my milk supply dropped drastically, and when she went on a nursing strike of two days a few weeks later, my milk dried up overnight (at 18 months).  With my son, I never produced a drop of milk, never got engorged, etc.  So I don't want to do anything too crazy to try to decrease my supply - too much is better than not enough.  But when should I expect the excess milk to go away?  Overnight nursing is the worst because I literally lay on top of two full sized bath towels and soak through both of them by morning, despite trying my hardest to "mop up" everything.  I've even tried letting DD2 NOT comfort suck after she's done with a feeding, even though I would be fine with her doing it, and certainly let DD1 do it... but I don't want her increasing the demand even more. 

So yeah, when does this slow down again??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It took longer for me than three weeks but I didn't leak as much with DD (she's my first). I found these
http://m.toysrus.ca/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_non_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D2688887&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.ca

I would pop one on the breast not currently nursing and it would catch the leaking milk. I then poured it into a bottle/froze it for when I needed to be away for a dr appt or something. They were not that useful for getting a lot of EBM because I slowed down soon after getting them but they didn't leak and kept my bra/top dry. I'm planning on using them again when number two is born since I anticipate more leaking aNf a bigger supply.

User Tag List