Pacifier Use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 4 weeks old. Of course he nurses all the time and that is fine with me but in the evening he gets fussy and wants to suck but gets upset if he gets milk. I gave him a pacifier tonight and he sucked away and was much calmer. I have never really liked pacifiers. I think that they can be over used. But is there any physical reason to not use them or health reason? I would appreciate any input here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
There is research to indicate that dummy use increases the incidence of ear infections and gastro.

I'm not sure about dental issues, it's not something I've looked into.

I'm sure plenty of people will respond telling you that their kids used a dummy without issues but, since you asked about health concerns, those are the ones I'm aware of.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of mine used them without issue, and one didn't like them. I wanted to use them due to an extreme oversupply - if they sucked for comfort, I just made more and more milk, and there were negative consequences for me and them.

However, what made it work for me is also a potential serious negative consequence to using them at all. My supply went down. For me that was great, but for a lot of moms, that can lead to struggles, and even an end of the breastfeeding relationship.

My kids both have great teeth so no problems there. My biggest concern would be supply. How is your supply? If you aren't having oversupply issues, use extreme caution if you use them, as at 4 weeks your supply might not even be regulated yet and it could cause your supply to drop dramatically. It caused my supply to drop dramatically, which is great if you need that, but will cause you to have a hungry baby and potentially stop breastfeeding if you don't.

So I am not personally anti-pacifier, but later is better, and not for moms who have any level of supply trouble at all, and even then keep a close eye. Your ds will have growth spurts where he will need to nurse very frequently to get your supply where he needs it. Nursing more causes you to make more breastmilk. But if that sucking is happening on a pacifier instead of you, your body will not be signaled to make more milk, and that will cause a supply problem.

I guess the key is if you do use them, don't use them too much, don't assume if he's nursing a lot that he doesn't need to nurse a lot, and keep a close close eye on your supply. Any trouble at all as far as supply goes, immediately drop them and keep him on the breast as much as possible for a few days to get your supply back up. They worked for me but they do cause problems for a lot of moms.
#4 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Each babe should be considered, it may not be right for some. It sounds like your LO is pretty happy having something to suck on, after his feeding needs have been met. My DD had tongue tie and despite the various issues we have, I don't feel in any way that her pacifier use hindered anything. It soothed her. She eventually found her fingers and still sucks her middle two fingers to this day (22 mo).  My son self weaned from the pacifier at 8mo.

The breastfeeding doctor who clipped my DD's tongue only recommended soothies or gumdrop pacifiers because the shape encourages tongue formation to mimic nursing. I will only use that brand. 

For my third baby coming in September, I'd offer one if baby seemed to suck a lot and was nursing well. However, at this point, I'm also ok with fingers (except the added germs).  I think the point you introduced it was good - 4 weeks. Its also a good time to try a bottle, if you will ever want someone else to occasionally feed him.

Regarding ear infections, at least in our case, my son never had one until he was 3 (and only one time, pretty minor) and my DD had one at around a year and a half. Also only once.

That said, I agree with the pp about watching pacifiers with your supply and any growth spurts.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only thing ive ever heard was if they are wasting the energy to suck they should be getting milk in return. Everyone is different. Whatever works for you is best. People are going to find something wrong with everything si you just have to do whats right for your family.
#6 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I loved using the paci for my son when he was a baby. I used it from birth until we weaned him cold turkey at about 2 and a 1/2. It never interfered with nursing or created any problems for me personally. It pushed his front teeth out a little bit when he was 2 and older but within a week of stopping it they went back to normal and have stayed that way. I would say go for it. It never interfered with nursing for us either.

#7 of 10 Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM

I think pacifiers are great if used with a high-suck-need baby and a Mom will good supply or oversupply, but yes caution must be used to make sure that during growth spurts and whatnot your baby is getting plenty of time at the breast. DD didn't like them much, but would suck/chew on them occasionally when teething or bored in the car or store, I got her a lovey that she liked sucking on more than a pacifier so that ended up working well for her high suck need (especially when away from me at daycare) since she wouldn't go for her thumb/fingers.

Most pacifiers meant for older babies are designed to prevent issues with teeth, but not a bad question for your dentist.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#8 of 10 Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The following article from Journal of Lactation discusses artificial nipples and their effect on development of the oral cavity

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_oralcavity.htm

Quote:

In addition, studies by Bowden,23 Melsen,24 Paunio25 and Ogaard26 found a positive association between the use of pacifiers and malocclusion. The forms of malocclusion described by these authors included crossbite, reduced arch width, lower anterior facial height, rotation of mandibular plane angle, open bite, and tongue thrust swallow.

#9 of 10 Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM

My DD don't like pacifier, but I'm not an anti-pacifier but based on my youngest sibling, using a pacifier sometime lead to sucking even when they are a little older though I don't mean it in general.

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#10 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

The following article from Journal of Lactation discusses artificial nipples and their effect on development of the oral cavity
 http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_oralcavity.htm

Quote:
Quote:
In addition, studies by Bowden,23 Melsen,24 Paunio25 and Ogaard26 found a positive association between the use of pacifiers and malocclusion. The forms of malocclusion described by these authors included crossbite, reduced arch width, lower anterior facial height, rotation of mandibular plane angle, open bite, and tongue thrust swallow.
Interesting, anecdotally, my sister and I sucked our finger & thumb and my brothers used those orthodontic pacifiers. My brothers have perfect teeth, my sister and I both had braces per the orthodontist from our sucking finger & thumb. It may also be because we sucked them longer as you can't take fingers and thumbs away like you can a pacifier smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page