How long was your maternity leave? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I'm from Brazil and we're producing a documentary wich the main focus is to discuss the professional dilemas that parents go through: maternity leave, keep breastfeeding while returning to work, how do companies deal with pregnant women, parental leave, women role on society, returning to work, etc.

In our on line channel, on Vimeo, we're uploading small pieces of the interviews, all translated to english: http://www.vimeo.com/channels/docmaternidadeecarreira

We're looking for some interesting stories all over the world, to know how does it work in all countries. Did you have troubles with your company during pregnancy or when you returned to work? How does maternity leave work in your country? Did you have to leave your baby in a baby care center ou did you choose to leave with a nanny? What are the parents rights in your country?

Any question related to the theme is interesting to us.

If you want to tell us, please write to me: biasiqueira@obravideos.com.br

Hope you enjoy it and help us to offer a better situation to all families!

Bia Siqueira

#2 of 7 Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Hello and welcome to MDC! I'm going to move your post to the general breastfeeding forum as the questions above are a better fit for the general forum. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM

I'm in Canada and we get a full year. I was downsized when 6 months pregnant - they didn't have a choice, the company was failing and had to let 90% of their employees go. I got a full year of maternity pay (55% of my full time pay) and I decided to stay at home with my child after. She is about to turn 2, I'm expecting our second child in July and I'm not looking for work anytime soon. I think once my daughter enters kindergarten in two years, I will start retraining for a second career. I'm very fortunate that my husband's earnings are enough to cover our living expenses so I have tho opportunity to stay home in the first years.
#4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 PM

Hi here in the united states we only get 3 months maternity leave. I was in a government funded work program and they wouldn't let me take my leave until i had my baby it was miserable! I was in my last month of pregnancy working in temperatures of 90 degrees. I wish to stay home and care for my baby longer but there isn't enough money for that. As for child care my friend will be nice enough to watch mine until she has to go back to work when her leave is up. In my country stay at home mothers are some what frowned on.
#5 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 AM

United States does not offer any maternity leave. It's all up to the employer. What we do have is the Family Medical Leave Act which allows you up to 3 months of unpaid leave for any medical reason be it your own or a family members.
Having said that my employer offers up to 3 years maternity leave although it is unpaid. They do however provide health insurance for the first year. You can leave at any point in your pregnancy although since it physical work women end up leaving sooner rather then later. I left a month and a half before giving birth. I'm only taking the year as my family's health insurance is through me. Wish I could take advantage of the 3 years.
#6 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM

I took 12 weeks. It was unpaid but I used my vacation/sick time to cover all but the last two weeks. My employer was great about it and my supervisors/coworkers are very supportive of my pumping/parenting/having other priorities besides work. I'm pretty lucky.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#7 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

With DD1 I took 6 weeks off then worked part time, from home, until she was a year and then stopped working.  I worked for a family member, so it was much more flexible than most situations I know. Anyone I know that went back to work full time after baby was born took between 6 weeks and 3 months...... most of them closer to 6 weeks though.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page