Two questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First, I think my 20 month old daughter might be allergic to strawberries and/or red food coloring.  Therefore, we have none in the house.  We're waiting until she turns two to have her allergy tested, so I have a while to go.  My problem is this:  I am now pregnant with #2 and I really want strawberries.  If I eat strawberries, will it effect her?  She only nurses first thing in the morning and right before bed.  And the only reason we suspect an allergy is because she broke out in a rash from her mouth to her belly and then had a diaper rash the next day.  So it doesn't seem to be a severe allergy, but I read that the first exposure doesn't always show how bad the allergy is.

Second, since finding out (this week) that #2 is coming, BFing has become SO PAINFUL.  I think it's worse than when she was a newborn.  I was able to work thru that fine.  I had a clogged gland that was pretty painful a couple months ago, but got thru that fairly well, too.  But THIS.  Oh my gosh.  I have actually cried out in pain, which startles her off.  I have to make fists and clench my arms and close my eyes and clamp my mouth shut to try and get thru the first few mins of BFing.  Made worse by her constantly pulling off to point to my nipple and ask, "ow?", which only prolongs the pain.  (I love that she's being so sweet and asking if I'm ok, but I really wish she'd just nurse and get it over with.)  So my question is, is this pain going to subside, or should I start weaning her now?  I was planning on weaning between her 2nd birthday (June) and when the baby gets here (Oct) anyway.  I'd like to make it to her second birthday, but if it's going to feel like this for the next four months, there's just no way.

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Just call me Bessie.   winky.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM

I feel your pain. I am due in June. And have a almost 24 month old. Around the second or third month of pregnancy nursing hurt just like you explained. My daughter was only nursing at bedtime and Naptime. The bed time for about a month I had slowly decreased the time I allowed her to nurse. We were down to like 2-3 mins.... When things go too painful I pulled the plug.

She was 22 months. I placed band aids on my nipples and told her mommy had boo boos. She cried about it. Nap time for the first two or three days was tough cause the nursing was such a crutch. Night time wasnt a big deal since we had been only nursing a few mins. She fell asleep pretty easy even the first night. She didn't cry but I did! I was a sobbing mess!!! It wasn't how I wanted to end things but I couldn't have the pain all day from it.

As for the strawberry allergy. Not 100% but if you eat them far enough from a feeding it might not effect her..

Good luck to you and congrats on the pregnancy!
#3 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM

I so feel your pain as well! I'm due at the end of July and DD is 23 months. The pain comes and goes every few weeks. Sometimes it's merely uncomfortable, other times the pain takes my breath away at the beginning. I also often have a bit of a nursing aversion where my skin crawls and I just want to throw my boobs out the window, then run away although it's not painful per se. DD is down to naptime, bedtime and 1-3 times overnight. I'm letting her nurse as long as I can stand it but have pulled away and said "the Milkies are ouchie. Milkies need a break. Let's cuddle." there may be some protest but sometimes she drifts off. Other times we nurse again and the break helps.
I'm hoping to make it through the pregnancy and tandem nurse after but some days it seems impossible. If you're looking to wean her, you may want to slowly start soon so it's very gradual, although being down to two sessions is pretty close.
About the strawberries, I'd try them once. Have them right after she nurses and then wait a couple of days to see if she reacts to it in your milk. She may have a problem with direct ingestion but there's a chance that the minuscule amount in breastmilk may not affect her at all.
Good luck to you mama! Early pregnancy with a toddler is HARD!!! Been there, done that. Second trimester for me is a big improvement. I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy.
#4 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM

If you eat something she is allergic to, yes it can affect her and it also may be a low enough amount that it doesn't trigger a reaction. I know it sucks, but I if it were me I would avoid eating them until you have her tested. I'm not going to eat peanuts or tree nuts (already cut them off per advise from an allergist in pregnancy) when I BF my twins whenever they come as DD is allergic to those so they very well may be too. I dunno, with children young enough to not really be able to tell me what's going on, I tend to be very cautious with food allergies. I'm a little less worried once they can tell me if they are starting to feel itchy/tingly/etc. to try things that are highly unlikely to give a reaction, but still possible.

I haven't ever BF a child while pregnant, so I can't help you there!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh.  I feel like I should err on the side of caution and continue to not eat strawberries.  But you guys...when I was pregnant with her, I *lived* on pbj with home made strawberry jam. I really don't like grape jelly.  But I guess it's going to have to do until I figure out if she's allergic or not.  (fingers crossed...)

As far as the pain, it's still there, and still horrible, but it seems to be fading faster.  So maybe I can make it to her 2nd birthday?  I don't know.  On the one hand, I feel like since that was my goal, and I'm so close, I should go for it.  On the other, I don't see why I'm putting myself through so much pain just so I can nurse for some arbitrary number of months.  We'll see, I suppose.

Thanks for your responses, ladies, it helps knowing that I'm not alone and I have some support.  :)

Just call me Bessie.   winky.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page