Anxiety meds while breast feeding ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a history of anxiety and have been able to cope for the last several years without meds- sometimes it's been really hard, other times it's ok.
I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy with LO #2 and things are a lot more difficult and complicated than they have been for a while and I feel the worst of my anxiety coming back as well as looming evermore in the future with the added stress of dealing with a newborn as well as my 2 yr old with ASD.
Ideally, I'd like to continue without meds and find ways to cope successfully without them, but I'm trying to be proactive and prepare for the possibility that I might need something more in the difficult moments.
In the past I've taken small doses of benzodiazepines to help me get to sleep when my mind won't stop churning and for panic attacks- not really ever a one-a-day thing for me.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience taking anxiety meds in this way while breast feeding a newborn? Did you notice any effect on your baby? Did you feel it was worth it? One concern I have is that taking meds while nursing will only add to my incessant worries (am I damaging baby's development etc). Sigh.

I know they are able to prescribe them to breast feeding moms but I've also read of these type of meds affecting babies, causing lethargy etc. What was your experience taking these kinds of meds while nursing?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 2 Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would recommend checking with them:

http://www.infantrisk.com/ 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page