natural thrush treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suspect I may have thrush.. 2 questions. (1) How can I know for sure, and (2) is there a way to treat it (in DS and myself) naturally, without meds?
Nipple pain during nursing isn't severe or constant, but it's definitely there. He has some white on his tongue and has for a while, but not sure if that definitely means thrush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am pretty sure we just had thrush.  Supposedly,  the white will NOT rub off with a moist qtip or washcloth if it is thrush.  Do your nipples itch when not nursing?  Are they red and shiney?  I am not an expert at all, but I just went trhough it and these are the things that come to mind.

We used gentian violet for 7 nights and it made the pain go away right away.  I saw mixed reviews and was a bit worried about using it.  I would do your own research on it first.  There is also the jay gordon method:

http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

If you do have thrush, you need to wash everything in HOT water (nursing pads, shirts that get milk, burp cloths, baby clothes).  Sunning your breasts is supposed to help too.

Hopefully you dont have it.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 4 Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cover your nipples in yogurt after nursing and let them dry, wash off and allow to air dry, this should help.

Gentian violet rocks and works really quickly.

Treat babes mouth at the same time so you don't keep contaminating each other.

Hot wash of all clothing, etc..

#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
U can also take probiotics, apply a paste made of probiotics and water to ur nipples, and apply the paste to babys mouth. Also taking garlic pills several times daily, it is an antifungal, and will pass to baby in ur milk.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page