should i stop breastfeeding?????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i just found out i have periodontal disease and have to start treatment :(    my question is has any one done this and still breastfeed?????

#2 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 PM

What kind of treatment is it?

The numbing agents used in dental work are fine while you are breastfeeding.

Many antibiotics are also compatible with breastfeeding. There are very few medications that are truely not.

Find out the details of your treatment, and contact your local La Leche League. The Leader you speak with will be able to help you get information about the medications that you will be using.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#3 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

It is called a deep cleaning and they also have to use antibiotics... that's what worrys me.. I feel sohelpless!!
#4 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

It is called a deep cleaning and they also have to use antibiotics... that's what worrys me.. I feel sohelpless!!
#5 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been on antibiotics and breastfed. Find out the specific antibiotic, but most are fine, and they should be able to simply choose one that is fine if you tell them you are BF. You aren't as delicate when bf as when pregnant, so you can relax a bit about trying to be perfect. Breastmilk is good enough that it's best choice even when you have to get surgery at some point, or take antibiotics for something, or if you drink moderately.

#6 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

I've been on antibiotics and breastfed. Find out the specific antibiotic, but most are fine, and they should be able to simply choose one that is fine if you tell them you are BF. You aren't as delicate when bf as when pregnant, so you can relax a bit about trying to be perfect. Breastmilk is good enough that it's best choice even when you have to get surgery at some point, or take antibiotics for something, or if you drink moderately.

Yeah this.

And I've actually had that cleaning done too. It's totally not at as bad as it sounds, really smile.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#7 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to both of yousmile.gif... i feel alot better

#8 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 AM

Ive also had that all done. No need to stop bf. Google infant risk line its a phone number that tells you if meds are safe for bfing
#9 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 AM

www.infantrisk.com (as referenced above) is a hotline that you or your dentist can call to discuss the impact of any medications on breast milk. They can help your dentist choose the best antibiotic to fit your needs and give you information on any risks that might be present. You might also consider doing a probiotic at the same time to replace some of the bacteria and possibly help prevent thrush/yeast issues.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#10 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

Ive also had that all done. No need to stop bf. Google infant risk line its a phone number that tells you if meds are safe for bfing

Do you know what they use as reference material? "Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk" is the most comprehensive source available. It's really the best reference for breastfeeding and medications.

#11 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

Do you know what they use as reference material? "Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk" is the most comprehensive source available. It's really the best reference for breastfeeding and medications.

Yes, it's the Texas Tech University department headed by Dr. Hale himself. They have material that is even more up-to-date than the published work because it's constantly updated.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#12 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenswisdom View Post

Yes, it's the Texas Tech University department headed by Dr. Hale himself. They have material that is even more up-to-date than the published work because it's constantly updated.

Well that is just awesome!

#13 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

Well that is just awesome!

Right? Such a great resource!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page