Breastfeeding Strike? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daugther Laura will be 5 months old in a few days and seems to be turning me down on nursing every other time. She is nursing through the night without any problem. When I hold her to nurse she acts like she is going to latch on, but never fully does, then turns her head away and gets fussy. I haven't changed anything in my diet, and really nothing about our schedule has changed. Could it be from teething or something else?

it is making me a very sad mama.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 AM

That was prime age for distractibility. I have two suggestions that worked great for us:

1) nurse in a quiet, dark room as much as possible. The more boring the surroundings, the better she can focus.
2) change nursing position. If you're still using cradle or cross cradle hold, try sitting her upright in your lap facing you and nurse that way. This was a huge help to us. DD could look around better while still nursing.

A lot of babies at this age will also have fewer short sessions during the day and make up for it at night. They are so curious and don't want to be left out even to eat. This should pass in a few weeks but since she nurses well at night, she's not on strike and your BFing relationship should be just fine. HTH
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

That was prime age for distractibility. I have two suggestions that worked great for us:

1) nurse in a quiet, dark room as much as possible. The more boring the surroundings, the better she can focus.
2) change nursing position. If you're still using cradle or cross cradle hold, try sitting her upright in your lap facing you and nurse that way. This was a huge help to us. DD could look around better while still nursing.

A lot of babies at this age will also have fewer short sessions during the day and make up for it at night. They are so curious and don't want to be left out even to eat. This should pass in a few weeks but since she nurses well at night, she's not on strike and your BFing relationship should be just fine. HTH

Exactly what she said. So much is going on. Also side laying nursing helped us a lot gave him a little more freedom of movement.

User Tag List