Pregnant, need BF chair advice.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope this isn't too cliche of a question. Everyone keeps telling me "whatever is comfortable." But I suppose the problem is that I've never breastfed, so I don't know how I'm going to want to sit WHILE breastfeeding.

Right now, we have very little furniture, so I am planning to buy some kind of chair to nurse when I want private time with the baby. I am thinking about getting a La Z Boy type rocker/recliner. My first question is if you can nurse while the chair is reclined? Really reclined, with baby on top? Say I'd be at a 45 degree angle. I know you can nurse laying down, laying baby on his/her side, but this would be different, obviously.

My thoughts on a glider--I actually don't like that gliding motion. Makes me feel dizzy. And if I'm not relaxed/happy, the baby won't be, right?

Back to the La Z Boy....I may not want to rock while nursing, either. I may just want to be STILL. Is that something a "been there done that" Mom would laugh at and say, "yeah, you say you want that now, while you aren't trying to soothe a baby."?

So then that just really leaves some kind of padded chair with padded armrests. Or maybe a La Z Boy that can be "locked" to be a non-rocker. Then I'd have both options.

Thoughts??? I know I am making this complicated, but I gotta pick something......

#2 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Good question! I have used a glider and a lazy boy style rocker recliner. I personally preffered the rocker recliner. I really liked having the padded arms and ability to recline. When I nurse I use a bed pillow under baby and adjust according to how much recline I want. Late a night I just kick it all the way back and snooze while baby is nursing. I just make sure nothing is blocking airways and he is secure in my arms. I love having the option to rock as well. When my chair is not reclined it is still pretty stable. I can use my foot or just rock my body a bit to get it to move. All in all I feel much more supported while nursing in my recliner. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!
#3 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM

I second the rocking recliner for sure. Mine was a cheap Sears knockoff and I pulled an ottoman up to it For my feet so they'd be elevated without reclining. It was very stable and I had to work to rock so it so I wasn't forced to rock if I didn't want to. Later I'd lay DD on my chest, recline and doze off. In fact I coslept that way on difficult nights and it was a lifesaver! Hth
#4 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Buy what you'd like! You'll keep the recliner for decades and your baby will only nurse reclining in a rocking chair for, what, like 6 months? (Nursing a toddler is a whole different ballgame, lol)

My only advice is make sure there's enough room between the arms. If it's too narrow, it can be hard to fit a newborn in head-to-foot, if that makes sense.

As for whether you're be able to nurse reclining or in this or that position, the answer is always: MAYBE. Because there's no "way" to nurse. It's different based on the parent and the child, and you just kind of figure it out as you go.

#5 of 7 Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't have one but my Sister and her husband both swear by a lazyboy recliner that now resides in front of their tv. In retrospect I do too. Great for newborn because you can slide on down to almost full reclined. Also great when a kid is sick, even, and older kid, and they need to be upright at various angles. Plus, it rocks.

Bigger is better because you want room for your arms, maybe a pillow, and I always found it more comfortable to be crosslegged.

#6 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 05:48 PM

You can nurse reclined tummy tu tummy. Great it you have a strong letdown to baby has to work against gravity.

I also suggest the armchair. I nurse in anything and fing padded armrests and a place to put me feet up the most important to me.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM

definitely get the la z boy. We can't live without it over here. I slept in it the last 2 months of my pregnancy because of psd and not being able to get in the bed, and continued to sleep in it after my lo was born in Dec.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page