Coffee in Breast milk question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone, 

I had a baby 1 week ago. joy.gif

He was 4 weeks early, and ended up in the NICU for five days because of lung development. He is home and doing SO great. He nurses many times a day and fills his diapers regularly too. I am so in love with him, and so excited. Just thought I would share. 

The question is...

I haven't had a cup of coffee since he was born because I am nervous it will effect him. He is just so tiny and new, and I don't want him to struggle with anything else beyond what he already has. Does anyone know how much coffee gets to a baby in the milk? Does one mug concentrate the milk much? 

What are your thoughts about coffee and breastfeeding a wee one? I am nervous to do it. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 AM

I can't tell you specifically how much caffeine gets into breast milk, but if you're nervous about it, why not wait awhile? I know some gets in, and certainly it affects a wee one's system more than our own. You could do decaf and/or try half-caff when he's a little bigger to see if/how it affects him. Doesn't help if you want coffee to help with sleep deprivation, though! smile.gif
That said, I usually drink a large cup of regular in the morning, and I haven't noticed any effects on my little guy. I think I waited til he was a little older, and he was 9 pounds, 12 ounces when he was born, so my situation was certainly a little different!
Congrats on your new little one! It's a wonderful thing to welcome a baby into your family! Glad he's home and doing well. smile.gif
#3 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 AM

All I know is that any caffine I have effects my son and you can tell then he gets super alert and has a hard time sleeping and becomes a cranky monster. I literally have only had four cups the past 6 months and he always reacts the same way. I stay away from it all together now.

#4 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Congrads!!! joy.gif

A small amount of caffeine is OK while b/f.

#5 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Hrm.  My situation was a bit different.  DD came at 28w and I was told to not worry at all about caffeine.  Reason?  She was getting IV (and then oral) caffeine, so her levels were being checked, anyhow. The neonatologists and LCs did reassure me that they didn't worry about maternal caffeine intake while breastfeeding.  I took at least one walk to my favorite coffee shop every day during our 3mo NICU stay.  I generally drank a medium latté, sometimes with an extra shot of espresso (pumping interfered with my sleep schedule).

I never gave up caffeine with my eldest.  I did find that he had trouble sleeping if I had caffeine after 5-6pm.  I notice no issues whatsoever with DD, but she's a very different baby and a very solid sleeper.  I couldn't stomach coffee while pregnant with her, whereas it was the only thing that helped my morning sickness during my first pregnancy.  I drink caffeine some evenings, but I usually reserve it for morning/afternoon.

Taking my first to a coffeeshop and nursing him in a cozy chair while I sipped a caffeinated drink was one of the best parts of his early babyhood.  Don't deny yourself.  If you see results you don't like, try half-caf.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page