Breastfed twins having difficulty with their occasional bottle feed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My twins are going on 9 weeks and seem to be having trouble taking the bottle when my mother watches them on weekends.  She's been giving them a bottle (with breastmilk) for just one feeding once a week, sometimes twice (she lives next door, so I can usually go over and feed them when she's watching them).  DH has tried twice as well, to give me a break during the week.  They take the bottle without complaint, but they take FOREVER to drink just two ounces each, and I'm pumping about 9-10 oz during that time.  They usually take at least an hour to take the bottles, and when they nurse they're pretty speedy.  They're down to less than 10 minutes nursing these days.  They've tried several different nipples, with the same result.  I'm pretty sure all the nipples we've tried are slow-flow, and I think that might be part of the problem.  I have a really strong let-down, and they're used to getting the milk sprayed down their throats.  Is it o.k. to squeeze a bottle to simulate a let-down?  I've assumed that's a big no-no, but if you really want to simulate breastfeeding that would be the only way I could think of.

Any ideas?  My caregivers are about to throw in the towel with the bottles and I would really like to have the occasional break.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First off, I think it's great that you are exclusively nursing twins! You definitely deserve that weekly break time (plus you're even providing breastmilk for that, you awesome mama!). Since you mentioned that all of the bottles have slow-flow nipples, I think the first thing that I would try in your situation is to try using a bottle that has a faster flow. I googled it and it looks like Gerber and Playtex both make a Fast Flow bottle nipple.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 3 Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fast flow nipples :) They work. Also, our ped told us that we should bottle prop (with supervision, obviously) to get them to drink more. Often times babies who are breastfed are so used to looking at their mother that when someone else gives them a bottle they pay so much attention to the person that they dont want to pay attention to their food.

brambleberry likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Tags
New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page