Baby biting leads to nursing strike! Please Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 7 mths old and teething like crazy. He has 2 teeth on the bottom and 1 tooth on top. He has started biting me this last week, not intentionally, but when he goes to latch he bites down first. I cried out in pain the first few times he did it, because it hurt. But now he is scared to nurse! I have been giving him homeopathic Camilia before I attempt to nurse him to ease the pain in his gums, but he still won't latch. He pushes me away and cries, finds his thumb and blankie ( the only things that keep him from wailing), and turns away. I can tell he wants to nurse but is too scared to do it. When I pick him up, he calms down, and starts to suck on my shoulder or neck. But the moment I put him in breastfeeding position again, he freaks out. So I have been pumping, and so he doesn't get dehydrated, I have given him the odd bottle or sippy cup with my breastmilk in it. But I also want him to be hungry enough to breastfeed. Any suggestions on how to help him get over his fear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would try motion to get him to latch.
You could cradle him or hold him upright, dance walk or sway. Some moms gently jiggle baby.
If you babywear try to nurse in the carrier while moving about.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page