Small doses of fenugreek in pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were hoping to ttc soon. My son (20mos.) still nurses a lot though, with a rather small amount of solids.
Recently when he was sick he refused nursing almost completely for two days and ate a little more solid foods. When he wanted to resume nursing, there was barely any left.
I fought to get my supply up and the only thing that ever helped was fenugreek. I do fine with just one to two capsules a day and it makes a huge difference in my supply. I am 100% sure of that. I had enough opportunities to test being on and off FG.
Anyhow, when my supply was low, things were bad...my son refused liquids and foods until I was able to get the supply up. Our pedi was already talking about a feeding tube and my baby was losing weight fast (5lbs).
He would hardly sleep at night, all he did was cry for milk, hold on to my boobs and kiss them, he said "please mama", he told me he was hungry, I was ready to break down and heartbroken.
Ever since, he has been reluctant about solids and is now mostly drinking bm (but gaining weight). He will eat a little with me, but not actual meals yet. He nurses all the time and does a lot of comfort nursing.

I am worried that I will dry up when pregnant and we would run into the same problems. I believe FG would keep my supply going enough, but I read that it is only okay in small doses.
But how small? I was unable to find a number.

I also did not want to wait too long to conceive number two because of my age and health problems that can pose a problem in the future to my fertility and/or pregnancies depending on how fast they progress.

Are there maybe any other herbs or lactation aids that are okay in case FG is not? Pumps do not stimulate me. I have not been able to pump even just a drop since he was a NB. Only his suckling gets milk out.

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I read that it is not good in pregnancy.  I used 'more milk two', but it didn't do much for my supply.  It was pretty much gone by 8 weeks with both my girls.  I did continue nursing though and tandem nursed a year with my dds and am still going strong with DS and DD2.  I think I am the type to just have enough milk and it dries up.  Perhaps you are not and 'more milk two' would help in pregnancy, but don't count on it.  Your DS could very well nurse the whole pregnancy and tandem (if that was what you wanted), or he could wean if the milk dried up or changed flavor or something else like that.  

Good luck

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

I read that small doses are okay here:
http://diyhealth.com/7-reasons-fenugreek-great-pregnant-women.html

And on kellymom.com

But it did not state any more detail.

A friend of mine used it during pregnancy for morning sickness an hypoglycemia. She is Chinese and never heard of any dangers, but she also does not know much about it...

I think more milk two is like mothers milk tea, which did not do anything for me. greensad.gif

This is a really big problem because it either means only one child for me, or risk my son ending up with a feeding tube...

I start drying up as soon as I get off fenugreek, I tried ismt a few times.

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Domperidone is often used to increase milk supply.  It is not available everywhere, but it can be ordered online.  Since you are in Germany, I don't know if you would have access to it.  I also don't know if it can be taken during pregnancy. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked up domperidone and it seems it is not safe either. greensad.gif
I also keep reading that it is VERY hard to keep your milk supply up when pregnant?
Maybe I need to postpone any future baby plans, hope that I can still get pregnant by then and stop dreaming of having 3 or 4 kids greensad.gif

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://blog.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/2013/05/10/10-ways-to-spice-up-your-health-with-fenugreek/

Some Fenugreek supplements you could try are listed at the bottom of this blog post. Some of these say not for use during pregnancy though. I'd check with your healthcare provider! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page