Gassy Newborn...could it be what I eat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, 

First of all, I have the sweetest newborn in the world. Just had to get that out there. :)

Second of all, I am trying to figure out what is sometimes making him fussy in the evenings. I don't eat much wheat or grains at all...so it can't be that. I also avoid broccoli and everything in its family for his little sake. Could it be dairy, coffee, citrus, chocolate, eggs? What are your experiences and which foods did you find were the most offensive?

-Hannah

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Being gassy and fussy is normal for a newborn especiall at night. Man when 7pm hit it was like clock work for us. Their digestive systems are maturing. And as long as they are not crying uncontrollably for 3 or more hours at night and haveing enough wet dipers a day it should be fine.
#3 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so he poops and pees constantly. hehe. He is breastfed on demand too. And, the fussiness is always at night. Last night he cried hysterically for about 2 hours. 

Are you thinking that this is typical no matter what a person eats while breastfeeding? Or, are there certain foods I could avoid other than things like say broccoli and beans. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#4 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM

I had a friend who had to give up dairy for the whole time she was breastfeeding because her baby was gassy from it and colicky.  You could try giving up all the suspected offenders for like five days and see if once the foods clear out, if it improves.  If it does, you can slowly reintroduce the foods, one each day or every two days, to see if the symptoms come back.  Sometimes it can take a day for the symptoms to reappear in an adult when you do an elimination diet like this, so it would probably be the same with your baby.

Also, I just wanted this movie last night that was sort of awkward and cheesy, but it was about baby language, and what babies are trying to tell us with their noises.  It was the newborn-3 month version of the series, called Dunstan Baby Language.  Ms. Dunstan was this woman born with a photographic memory for sound, so when she had her first baby, she could immediately start to recognize that he made certain sounds when he was hungry, or sleepy, or uncomfortable, or gassy.

The sound for needing to burp is a sort of "eh, eh, eh" sound that can turn into a cry that sounds like "eh" but is crying.  The sound for needing to fart is "eairh" which is sort of a more grunty and longer version of "eh".  She said this sound can be totally prevented by burping the baby throughout the day every time it makes "eh" sounds, whether or not you just fed him or not. 

The other sounds are "ow" crying sounds for sleepy, with the mouth in a big oval almost like a yawn; "neh" or "na" for hungry, where the baby puts its tongue on the roof of its mouth like when sucking, and then cries while doing that reflex; and "heh" which means uncomfortable - usually the baby is hot or cold or has a yucky diaper or just wants to be held in a different position

You can rent or buy the video to hear many babies making these actual sounds, but I immediately recognized all the cries when I heard them.  Maybe if your baby is going eh during the day, you could try burping him then until he stops making the eh sounds.  Or just move him around in different positions to get the air bubbles out. 

Once he has lower gas, you can hold him so his bottom is higher than his head, and try different positions, to help work out the air bubble.  But the lady in the video said that if you burp your baby whenever there is an eh sound, you can avoid that 5pm grumpy meltdown that babies have, where they are frustrated by gas in their intestines. 

I am only pregnant and have not tried this yet, but I'd love to hear if it works!

#5 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM

That all sounds typical. Especially if its just at night. Also milk can take weeks to leave your system. The only thing I noticed which really got him upset was caffeine. But it still sounds typical.
#6 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

DAIRY.  DD was just a hot mess at night, all night, every night, no matter what I "did" until I eliminated dairy.  The pedi said I was crazy but after 2weeks off dairy, once it had cleared out of my system, she was a completely different baby at night.  Even the smallest slip-up for me would send her into fits, and when she pooped, oh poor kid we could hear her from across the house it was so explosive!  I had her tested at the ND's and she confirmed the dairy issue but reassured me I changed my diet soon enough that with a few supplements she should be perfectly ok with dairy in the future, something that isn't super important to me, but would be nice for her to not have to worry.  I also BF on demand and it was a vicious cycle - she'd nurse to soothe her stomach (swallowing breaks up the gas) but at the same time be taking on more dairy into her system and the cycle would repeat.  During the day I wore her alot and the movement and being upright made it less of a issue... She's almost 18mos now and while she still doesn't tolerate dairy, the reaction isn't quite as violent and it takes longer/more to get a reaction, so if we go out or my IL's feed her something without reading ingredients...or if mommy caves to the never ending supply of milk chocolate that seems to keep appearing at work!

#7 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

DAIRY.  DD was just a hot mess at night, all night, every night, no matter what I "did" until I eliminated dairy.  The pedi said I was crazy but after 2weeks off dairy, once it had cleared out of my system, she was a completely different baby at night.  Even the smallest slip-up for me would send her into fits, and when she pooped, oh poor kid we could hear her from across the house it was so explosive!  I had her tested at the ND's and she confirmed the dairy issue but reassured me I changed my diet soon enough that with a few supplements she should be perfectly ok with dairy in the future, something that isn't super important to me, but would be nice for her to not have to worry.  I also BF on demand and it was a vicious cycle - she'd nurse to soothe her stomach (swallowing breaks up the gas) but at the same time be taking on more dairy into her system and the cycle would repeat.  During the day I wore her alot and the movement and being upright made it less of a issue... She's almost 18mos now and while she still doesn't tolerate dairy, the reaction isn't quite as violent and it takes longer/more to get a reaction, so if we go out or my IL's feed her something without reading ingredients...or if mommy caves to the never ending supply of milk chocolate that seems to keep appearing at work!

I have been wondering if it is dairy, so I made a couple switches. I have been using goats milk cheese instead of dairy cheese, and I have stopped eating yogurt. I LOVE treating myself to an iced mocha at the health food store though and I hate all of their dairy substitutes. They are just nothing like the cup of creamline organic milk that they use normally. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am willing to sacrifice whateve he needs me to sacrifice. It does sort of suck though, but I guess I am preaching to the nursing choir. 

#8 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Dairy is often a culprit, but sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with what you eat.  I suggest probiotics for you and your baby, it often helps tremendously.

Best to you both!

#9 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Coconut milk and coconut ice cream are my faves, but it was cheese that was hardest for me!

#10 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Some babies are just gassy and grow out of it. With mine eliminating garlic and dairy helped a little bit, but in the evening it was simethicone time for a couple of months until they grew out of it.

Tags
Baby , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page