Wisdom teeth removal and breastfeeding a newborn, currently 39 weeks pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and I was up all night two nights ago in severe pain. I was in pain all day yesterday too but I tried every natural remedy I could think of and by 8pm the pain was mostly gone and I woke up feeling ok today. I saw the dentist this morning and he confirmed I have a hole in my wisdom tooth and an infection starting but no swelling so he thinks the best plan is to wait until I deliver and then have them removed. Yesterday my worst fear was that I'd be in pain up until labor and be exausted. Now since I seem to be able to control the infection right now I'm more concerned with how to handle having dental surgery with a new born. I don't want to put it off too much but I really didn't want to leave my house for the first few weeks and even more I don't want my baby to be affected by the drugs and am worried about what the antibiotics will do if I need them.

So.....when do I start pumping? How do I not mess up breastfeeding, when would you get it done, how soon after having a baby?

I need advice on how to best handle this. I do have a strong group of mamas some who gave birth a few weeks ago and many who are still do so if I needed help supplementing I could potentially get milk from them. This is new territory for me and I need to know how to prepare for this to best set us up.

Thank you

#2 of 5 Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Poor you.

Will you be able to wait a few weeks after the birth?

Will you be put under or just laughing gas becauseI think that will make a difference too.

#3 of 5 Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Moriah... (I am in your due date club, but will respond here). Sorry you are dealing with this now and that you are in pain. You will come to a plan that will work for you, but here is what I would do...

If possible (the infection isn't worsening and the dentist is ok with it), I would hold off on surgery until at least day 5 after birth (maybe longer if you are not in terrible pain). By then, your milk should be on its way to coming in and you will have established your breastfeeding relationship. Having drugs in your system isn't ideal, but if you have mamas willing to provide you with milk for a couple feedings, you could pump and dump for the 12 hrs after your surgery (or less...sedation drugs are actually very short acting and clear from your system quickly - maybe check with a lactation consultant to find out the half life of the specific drugs you will be taking, or look them up online). I would have someone else finger or syringe feed the baby during that time, then resume breastfeeding. Fortunately, wisdom teeth removal is usually a pretty quick, in and out procedure and you can be home within a few hours, snuggling with your baby. If you are not already, start taking probiotics and if you are on antibiotics after surgery, get some probiotics for your baby as well.

If you want to pump your own milk starting on day 3-4 to use for the few hours when you wouldn't be breastfeeding, you could do that also. I have personally been dealing with engorgement...so I would NOT pump during that time, because it would signal my body to keep overproducing. Also, every body is different, but I am now a week post-partum and my supply is evening out to a good amount where I wouldn't be concerned about having to leave the house for several hours without my baby if I absolutely had to (as for surgery).

One other thing (and I totally don't mean to downplay your situation, because it stinks!!!) is that despite our ideal plans for birth and beyond, things come up that interfere (silly, crazy, life!!!) and being a mom is about letting go of some things we wish we had control over. I had been sick the week before my birth, was just starting to get better when I birthed. It must have put a strain on my body, because the next day, I got sick again. My first week with my sweet, sweet girl has involved me having nightly fevers, a horrible cough that strained all my abd. muscles and uterine ligaments, sinus pain, laryngitis and now earaches. I hate that I keep coughing all over her and can't enjoy her sweet newborn smell. Oh, and my babe is tongue-tied (we still need to get it clipped), so I have been dealing with sore, bleeding nipples as well. Not exactly my perfect vision of my first week with her, but we will get through and you will too.

Good luck!  I hope you come up with a plan that brings you peace.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#4 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 PM

I would think that you only need to pump enough for one or two servings of milk, depending on how long the surgery will take. When my dh got his wisdom teeth out recently, it took about three hours. 

For myself, I would be comfortable resuming nursing right after the surgery. I had a wisdom tooth removed when my youngest was a baby and I was able to nurse her even with the painkillers I was on. It's not like you're taking them long term; a day or two of medication shouldn't hurt your baby. 

If you have medication concerns, Dr Hale is my favorite resource:

http://www.infantrisk.com/

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just a thought, Homeopathics are safe while pregnant and breastfeeding, maybe try arnica 30c, even if it doesn't totally get rid of the pain, it will at least lessen the swelling an trauma from surgery. Best of luck with birth, breastfeeding, and your tooth

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page