Inducing "Lactation" prior to labor/birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please no flaming, I am fairly educated in pregnancy, birth, postpartum and lactation however I am navigating some significant variables I would like support with- in determining what is the right thing for me and this baby.

I am currently somewhere in the 35-37 week window and I am wondering if I should start to induce lactation prior to birth for a few reasons.

DD was born at 35-36 weeks gestation and we had a hard time getting breastfeeding going. She had jaundice and was in a double bili light system for 2 weeks. The preterm birth, mama/baby separation right after birth for 5 hours, lathargy of jaundice, poor policy in place by the attending peditrician, and my milk not being ready for 5 days (needed fenugreek for it to finally come in) were all variables in a rough start. She never had formula (though she did have sugar water against my wishes - insert long rant with some cuss words and gestures)....

So currently I have gestational diabetes which I am regulating with insulin for over night and 2 mealtimes. Part of my treatment plan this time includes getting baby to breast as soon as possible and also monitoring baby's glucose levels closely for at least the first 24 hours after birth. It is my understanding many newborns of GD moms *need* some form of nutirional supplementation to regualate the glucose levels. I would REALLY like to avoid any non-human supplements for this baby if possible and wonder if it would be worth trying to collect some colostrum now?

I know breast stimulation is a uterine stimulant as well as fenugreek - which signficantly increases my chance for labor. I feel very confident I am close to 37 weeks while my providers believe I am closer to 35. So I have to balance this I realize- however with my bicornuate uterus it is likely this baby will come early on his own regardless. I don't want to be navigating a premie with me as a gestational diabetes mama.... I do know that all current research shows skin to skin is the best thing to regulate glucose in the early postnatal period, but I also know that information is not known as prevalently among peditricians/hospital staff.

I will say that my providers are all on board with donor milk which we will order as a precautionary measure, however I am concerned they may want to supplement before the milk arrives. I have considered using a local momma's milk if she is up for it, but the hospital was not too keen on that idea.

Thoughts?

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#2 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I didn't have GD, but had a history of big babies who needed supplementation for hypoglycemia shortly after birth.  Prior to the birth of my third baby 6 weeks ago, I pumped a little bit to save for supplementation after my homebirth if I thought it necessary.  ( I'm a newborn nurse and IBCLC).  To my surprise and delight, after only 5 minutes of pumping at 40 weeks pregnant, I had 1.5 oz of colostrum!  

I wound up not needing to use it, but was so happy to have it on hand just in case.

I believe Dr. Jack Newman talks about expressing colostrum prenatally.  I'll see if I can find a link for you.  

Good luck!  

(would type more, but I'm typing onehanded while BF!)

RN, IBCLC. DS is 5, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1!

#3 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM

" I have considered using a local momma's milk if she is up for it, but the hospital was not too keen on that idea."

Even if they're not keen on it, you can still do it. I donated milk to a mom nearby when the hospital wanted her to supplement.She signed a waiver releasing the hospital from liability and they were fine with it. Since then, the pediatrician and several nurses have told me how cool it was.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the best plan would be to secure some donor milk now in the event that your bm supply is delayed. Remember, you are a second time mom now and a lot more experienced. It will probably be a LOT easier than it was the second time around. However, what wouldn't be easier is to accidentlly provoke labor for a babe who wasn't ready and then was a preemie with sucking issues. I would totally avoid any labor stimulation and just have some extra breastmilk on hand to use if you must. If they won't allow you to use your friend's milk, than have a plan in place to order some from one of the milk banks and have that on hand. They simply can't object to that.

#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have milk on hand. Some from a friend who delivered 2 months ago that is from wen her milk just started coming in, so heavily mixed with colostrum! I just picked it up today!!! Yay! Another friend gave me some as well, she is an IBCLC who used to work in a hospital. She said they might give me a hard time but would still have to let me. We'll see. I hope I don't need it. Jack Newman actually advocated for it if possible with hand expression. I personally don't believe labor would start if my body wasn't ready. At this point I am full term.

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page