Mothering Forum banner

Anxiety and breastfeeding

791 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  McGucks 
#1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody knows any natural remedies for anxiety that are safe while BFing?
I do have some buspar left from prepregnancy when I was taking half a bar a day, so I was able to kinda stockpile it a lil bit as I could get a refill before I had run out... I don't know how comfortable I feel taking it while BFing tho, and I hate to ask the Dr cuz he always thinks everything is like no big deal at all.
I really need to do something tho, I'm so at the end of my rope! I think I might have a touch of PPD. But anxiety meds work better for me than anti depressants.
I took that SAMe stuff back in the day and it seemed to work ok... Any input is appreciated TIA

#2 ·
I wonder if some chamomile tea would help to relax you. Also, a whiff of some lavender essential oil might also help ease your anxiety. I like to avoid medications when breastfeeding.

#3 ·
That might work, but I think I'm a little beyond that point.

I just feel like a broken record, saying the same things all day, everyday. The only break I get is like half an hour in the shower every other day, (everyday if I'm really lucky, but that's rare).
I'm just overwhelmed

#4 ·
#6 ·
Thank you for the links. Upon some research it looks like passion flower or GABA might be options. I'm still on the hunt tho

#8 ·
Certainly! I still have 2 boxes left from my pregnancy.
Someone suggested St. johns wort, so I'm currently taking 3 capsules a day, hopefully it won't take too long to start working.
But I think a lot has to do with just getting some kind of break each day, and for DH to validate my feelings. That's a challenge all it's own, unfortunately.

#10 ·
Hi, I see your post is from a couple months back, so hopefully you have found some relief by now. I'm not breastfeeding yet, but have struggled a lot with anxiety and done just about everything under the moon (pharmaceutical and ''alternative'') to try to find some relief. I thought I'd give you some recommendations based on what has worked for me.
Bach flower remedies have been very helpful for me and are safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding. norskelove mentioned Rescue Remedy, which is the combo of Bach flower remedies that is supposed to provide relief to anyone, so if that is all you have access to it is a great option. But if there is somewhere that Bach flower remedies are available near you, it is even better to make a personalized blend. You can read about the different flowers here (http://www.bachflower.com/original-bach-flower-remedies/) and figure out which ones sound best for you and self prescribe.
Also, if you drink coffee, you should quit as soon as possible. Naturopaths were always telling me to quit drinking coffee - if your nervous system is already agitated and giving you anxiety, why agitate it more with caffeine. I never heeded their advice. But upon getting pregnant I quit drinking coffee, and the few times I have had a cup of coffee since then, I am amazed at how much it increases my anxiety.

Self-care makes a huge difference, too. You seem to have already figured this out by noting you need a break every day and a partner that validates your feelings. It is not selfish to take care of yourself and call on others to help you do that. Make sure you are doing the things that make you feel good, healthy, and happy to be alive. That means the basics like eating nourishing foods, getting a break and rest when you need it, getting exercise, etc. But it also means finding time to do things that bring you joy, having a partner who makes you feel loved and cared for, finding ways to express yourself creatively, etc.
This last recomendation is not an easy one and some may think it is controversial, but I truly believe it so will put it out there. Anxiety is always a manifestation of some deeper rooted fear you have. It isn't biological in the sense that you are born with some gene that dooms you to deal with anxiety. Years of suffering from anxiety can alter your biology (change your breathing patterns, affect your body and posture from constantly holding certain muscles tight, cause headaches, etc.). But to get at the root of it, you have to do a lot of self-reflection and deep digging to figure out what the deeply rooted fear is. For example, I have fears of growing and advancing and also of letting go to the uncertainty that is life. When I work on confronting those fears, I find relief from my anxiety. When I just try to figure out why I'm anxious about waiting in line at the bank, I think myself into circles and generate more anxiety.

#11 ·
I do some plain old behavioral things...some exercise, regular social contact, that kind of thing.

I wish Rescue Remedy worked for me. It doesn't.

I have a script for Klonopin and take it when I need it. I still nurse.

I have found that it is also sometimes very helpful to be quite direct with DH about my needs...he can't figure out when I need a break based on what seems to be my very obvious frustration. Sometimes I just have to go out to the car and read in the quiet for ten minutes.

Being a mom can be pretty hard sometimes. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.