Pain with the Ameda PurelyYours? HELP! Need to build a stash for next semester. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm nursing Baby #3 now (she'll be 2 months on 6/2) and I recently purchased an Ameda PurelyYours because I'm in midwifery school and will need to pump while away from baby in the Fall. When my first was a nursling I used a Medela Harmony (or whatever the one-sided version of the PIS is) when I needed to pump twice a week and like it a lot, but since I'll need to pump more this time I thought I should get a double sided pump. Since the Ameda is so much cheaper than the PIS, had good reviews, and is a closed system, I thought it fit the bill.

However, I HATE it! I miss the more flexible flanges of the Medela. These stiff flanges HURT and I think the fit is wrong -- it stretches out my nipple WAY far. Pumping is thus incredibly uncomfortable. Also, with my medela I could shift around the flange so that it fit over various ducts -- with this I feel like it covers my entire areola like it should but because it's so stiff it doesn't get all the ducts.

Do I need a different size flange? (And is it a smaller one I need?) Is there a more flexible/soft cup I can sub out? What do I do? I am so frustrated. I have barely started building my supply for Fall because I hate pumping so much!

TIA for any advice or help.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#2 of 2 Old 06-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Congratulations on Baby #3! I never used the Ameda PurelyYours pump, but I did use some Medela pumps and I recall pumping with the wrong size flange and it hurt a lot, so I have a lot of empathy for what you are describing. I hope some other mamas with experience with the Ameda PurelyYours will see this thread and post with more specific advice. Take good care and I'm sending some virtual hug.gif for the frustration.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page