Was it easier the second time? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am newly pregnant with #2 and have already started thinking about this.  DS and I made it a year BFing (well, just shy - I think his last nursing session was a week before his birthday or so) and it was really, really hard - I had supply issues (supplemented for 12 weeks and then finally was able to get a full supply with domperidone), he was a lazy nurser and a slow gainer, I work full-time and pumping was a daily stressor (will I get enough milk?  won't I?)...the list goes on.  I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to.

My ped tells me #2 is generally easier because only one of you has to learn, but I am more hopeful that the supply issues won't plague me like last time.  I've read in some places that successive pregnancies can equal more milk because more glandular tissue develops, but I never had any breast changes/soreness/etc. with the last pregnancy (or this one so far), and I don't know if that's a good or bad sign.

So does anyone have success stories?

#2 of 8 Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, I think it is easier because you know what you are doing, you know how your body should feel, and you know how to prepare for pumping if you need to. On the other hand, my second was the hardest to pump for because I had so much extra milk with my first I donated a lot and then didn't prepare as much. And then I got to work and realized my girl didn't drink as much as pumping for her was much harder.

When my last baby and I actually intentionally created an oversupply so that pumping at work would be easier. From the day my milk came in to the entire length of my maternity leave I pumped once in the morning and once at night. It set my milk level higher and gave me a great freezer stash. And it gave me a cushion to work with so to speak. LO didn't like bottles and the extra milk in the evening/twilight was really helpful with the frantic nursing when I would first get home.

#3 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM

It has been easier for us, this second time. I struggled to keep enough milk in the freezer for my daughter, but a combination of experience, more committed daily pumping, and (I think) just a better supply, we've been much better off this time.
I do eat oatmeal almost every day, take a lactation supplement and drink Mother's Milk Tea regularly, too, though. Good luck!

Leigh Ann, Wife to David:, Mama to Rowan. Exhausted and loving it (most days). 

pos.gif !!!

#4 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I'm hopeful that experience will make it better...so we shall see!

#5 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Overall, heaps easier the second time. Although I didn't have supply issues. I did have other problems though which didn't recur.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 PM

I had a supply issue the first time with a very early preemie, and was only able to pump for 9 weeks with minimal output, my milk never really came in and I would only pump enough all day for one bottle. With my second  BF was a huge priority for me, he was term but had to have surgery and stay in the NICU for a few days so I pumped right away for the first 2 days until her could nurse and I've had a fantastic supply this time. He's 5 months old and has been EBF and nurses like a champ. Each pregnancy is totally different so don't assume you will have the same challenges you did the first time. Good luck with your pregnancy and I wish you a bountiful milk supply! smile.gif

#7 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much!  DS was not a preemie but we had a fairly stressful delivery and I had no clue what I was doing, which I think was a lot of the problem...so here's hoping!

Worst case scenario, I know domperidone works for me...I'd just really prefer to NOT have to take it if I don't have to.

#8 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 PM

I had a better experience the second time around. Had to work really hard on it for the first two months, but am able to do mostly BM this time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page