Urgent advice needed! :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 6 weeks old. I have successively and exclusively nursed two children before him until they were over 2 years old. DS has been struggling to nurse since day one... And what I thought was a case of horrid thrush combined with a small mouthed bad latcher has turned out to be a case of posterior tongue tie- and a very tight one at that. He has all the signs: inability to latch deeply and keep a latch, feedings that last hours, clicking and popping during feeds, milk that comes out of his mouth during nursing, inability to empty my breasts, the list goes on....
I have already reached out to a Dr Kotlow who is a leading expert in laser surgery for tongue tie with suggestions for physicians in my area for a referral. He did not have any contacts. I cannot find anyone who is willing/able to do laser surgery (safer option IMO).
The ENT is willing to do surgery as this is not a case of a simple clip. I am seeing a second opinion tomorrow just to be sure that this is agreed upon but where it stands, DS is scheduled to have surgery as soon as a week. The ENT has advised that he will be putting him under anesthesia and once he goes in, if he can simply do a deep snip of the frenulum he will... If he cannot, he will be performing something called a zplasty of the muscle of (or under??) the tongue. This is definitely more indepth and will require stitches. I am absolutely terrified....
Breast feeding is important to me - I have survived 6 weeks of misery to continue feeding him: ie glass shards in nipples, misshapen, bleeding, vasospasm nipples. Just now I have gotten some relief by pumping bottles for him... But my sweet little boy screams to nurse after he is fed. As soon as he latches on he falls peacefully asleep. I feel like in the end it will be worth it but thinking about him going through this is killing me...

Advice? Similar stories? Research I don't know about? Please share ... I'm just so sad right now.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#2 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM

I have no advice, just wanted to let you know I read this and feel for you. What a difficult situation for a brand new baby! Hope you get some good advice and he's eating easily soon!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM

What a tough thing to go through!

If it were me, I think I would go with the ENT. This is what they do and it's worth it in this situation.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My thoughts are with you.
Perhaps you could contact the MD in the following article.
Dale Tylor (the women pictured) she seems to correct a lot of Posterior tongue ties, she may be able to refer you to someone.

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=11685

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page