When can one know wether supply can be established or a lost cause? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am wondering what the range is for how long it takes to know wether a woman's milk is "coming in" and wether her natural supply will be sufficient on it's own, benefit from behavior change/pumping, or insufficient altogether when the issue is insufficient glands

Personally, I am OK with ambiguity and letting nature take it's course, but I am switching health insurance providers 2 weeks after my due date because I will no longer be eligible for that group insurance plan. My new plan doesn't cover maternity care, and even if it did, I'll be starting over with a new, unmet deductible. 

I want to take advantage of my current, very good plan for getting a breast pump, but I don't want to get one until I know what I am facing. If I need a hospital grade pump because there's hope for having enough production, I want to wait for that, (which will require a prescription) but I don't know how long that will take to determine, and I am worried that I'll go past my "deadline" for having it covered. I can get a $200-300 level electric ahead of time, but then receive no aid towards the $1,500 hospital grade purchase or rental. 

Any thoughts from mamas who've experienced low supply, especially if due to insufficient glandular tissue? Is it a matter of days, weeks or longer to know wether you have enough of a supply and when you start trying pump stimulation? 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

And yes, we already know this might be an issue, but don't know how severe it will be.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

*bump*

#4 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Have you actually been diagnosed with IGT?

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I do not have IGT.  So, I'm not responding because of that.

It sounds like a complicated situation that you're trying to make a prediction about.  Since you don't know when the baby will come (unless you're planning a cesearan, & even then, that's not a guarantee), I'm thinking you might just drive yourself nuts?

There's a yahoo group called MOBI - mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues.  Maybe you'd get more feedback there?

Is this your first child or 2nd or more?  I ask because our breasts continue to change w/ each pregnancy, making the likelihood of an adequate supply greater w/ another pregnancy.  

Have you gone over this situation w/ a very knowledgeable IBCLC?

Lastly, I met a mom who had a tongue & lip tied baby.  He was about 10 months old when he had them revised.  She had needed to supplement up until the revision but was able to stop afterwards because her supply picked up.  Now this child was also taking solids at the time so I can not say if she would have still needed to supplement had it be revised earlier.  I'm bringing this up just as an example of a supply picking up after the actual problem was corrected.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, like I said, I am all about patience and letting nature take it's course, but I am feeling under time pressure to choose and get a breast pump due to my insurance changing to a plan without maternity coverage.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even be thinking about it right now! I am planning on getting a recommendation for an LC from our pediatrician, who we are meeting next week.

#7 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i don't know much about unsufficient glands i'm afraid

but i know that it took me 3 to 4 days to re-establish supply after not breasfeeding for 5 days after the birth;

- i breasfead only twice shortly after the birth (complicated story, gave birth during a 3 weeks long state wide midwife strike at the time, with public hospital ressources stretched thin .... mistakes occured after the birth, i was not given medicine compatible with breasfeeding so had to stop after these first two very short tries on the first day)

- we got transfered some place else less than 48 hours later, had just started using a pump in the first hospital (lent to me more than 24 hours after the birth) but decided to walk out of the second hospital because i wasn't happy about some issues -baby stayed in hospital

- so by day 3 i was looking for a physician to change my medicine for one compatible with breastfeeding, write a prescription for me to rent a pump for home

- i barely slept of course during all this time (argued with a few people in both hospitals ... mama bear instinct, and i was right, one of the pediatrician later ran after me in the street to shake hand and say sorry ....) so was high on adrenalin ....

- by day 4 i was back "visiting" in hospital, waving my new prescription under the nose of doctors & begging for the right to breastfeed but it was a kind of bank holiday so the pediatrician in charge couldn't say yes straight away, another 24 hours wait, then i was only allowed to breasfeed after the staff had given a bottle, which was silly ...

- by day 5 i was asked to weigh my baby before and after each feed ( by then they had offered me a bed) which i did a few times and then i broke down and told the staff it was THEIR job to give a bottle (am rather inept with a bottle, i see milk slipping out of the baby's mouth, i don't seem to be able to do it correctly ....) AND WEIGH the baby as many time per 24 hours they wanted to, not my job, too stressful for me , my job was to sleep, eat, drink, pump to re-establish supply & anything that would upset me like giving bottle and weighing baby would rather hinder my task of re-establishing supply ...

- they knew i would not be giving bottles but they let us both go home after the 5th night in the second hospital

If you need to pump to stimulate your breast .... have you inquired at the LLL about these (sorry i don't know the name anymore) little container that hang aroung your neck with a fine, fine tube that can be inserted on the side of the mouth of your baby as he/she breasfeeds so that he/she can have milk that you expressed at the same times as he/she breasfeeds (if i recall correctly, it's been 10 years+ since i saw these photos & read these articles.....)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page