Breastfeeding Encouragement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-16-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 3 wks pp with DS#1. BFing has been painful from the beginning. I just recently figured out we have thrush, but I also think we have latch issues, and probably some nipple confusion as well. I'm trying all sorts of stuff to get rid of the thrush--probiotics, genetian (sp?) violet, vitamin C, and anti-fungal liquid to paint the inside of DS's mouth before feeds, and an oral antifungal pill for me to take. I'm also taking ibuprofen every four hours to help deal with the pain, but it still makes me cry sometimes. I'm just so sore. I know artificial nipples shouldn't be introduced before six weeks, but there have been a couple of evenings that he's wanted to nurse for four hours straight and I just couldn't handle the pain anymore so I gave him a bottle of expressed milk.

I have sores on both breasts. At one point the right one was so big and bad that I stopped nursing on that side and hand expressed only to let it heal. It's been nearly a week and it still hasn't healed, and my milk supply has dropped a lot on that side. I know I need to start nursing again on that side, but DS is such a vigorous sucker, even when half asleep, that I'm afraid I'll be back to square one after only one feeding. The thought of nursing at all fills me with dread. When I hear DS start to wake up after he's been asleep awhile and I know he's going to want to eat, I get that pit-of-the-stomach, "Oh no" feeling of impending doom.

I'm living in Eastern Europe at the moment, and there aren't any LLL or IBCLC consultants or groups in my area. I can't afford a breast pump, and there aren't any facilities for renting one. I know only one mother who nursed (I only know one mother at all, really--for some reason DH's and my circle of aquaintances is made up entirely of divorced old men), and she didn't have any problems at all and so had no advice for mine. She even gave me her unused tube of lanolin because she never felt like she needed it.

I've read countless articles and watched countless videos on getting a good latch, and I think our latch isn't awful, but I know it's not perfect because my nipple is almost always slightly flattened when he's done (and because it hurts!).

I guess I just want some encouragement that this, too, shall pass, that things will get better, that it will eventually get less painful, and that it really will be worth it in the end.

#2 of 2 Old 06-16-2013, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know it's hard going now, but things do usually get better. The first weeks of nursing can be really hard for any mom, and having thrush doesn't make things any easier. I would encourage you to persevere and keep going, at least for a while more. The year or more that you'll spend nursing will make this short period of time worth it.  

I had thrush with my most recent baby and nursing was really painful. We did a couple rounds of gentian violet, treating both him and myself every other day for about a week, then doing it again when it came back a few weeks later. Our pediatrician also prescribed me All Purpose Nipple Ointment, which you can find the recipe for here:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page