Mothering Forum banner

6 month old nursing alll the time!!

600 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MichelleZB 
#1 ·
My little girl is 6 months old and exclusively breast fed. She is recently nursing probably about every hour or so and wakes about every 2 hrs at night to nurse (she used to sleep up to 6 or 7 glorious hours straight!). I really wanted to try to hold off on starting solids until about 9 months but I am becoming exhausted! I have read many babies go through a growth spurt around this age so I'm assuming this is the reason. My questions are : 1) Does the nursing slow down a bit once the growth spurt is over? and 2) If you do introduce a bit of solids does it help them sleep through the night a bit better?...I plan on breastfeeding until she is at least 2 for sure so I am wondering when this gets a tad easier. For the record I love breastfeeding and it has gone very well from the beginning, however I am losing a lot of sleep and can not do anything for longer than an hour or so without her getting cranky and wanting to nurse.

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by livysmom View Post

My little girl is 6 months old and exclusively breast fed. She is recently nursing probably about every hour or so and wakes about every 2 hrs at night to nurse (she used to sleep up to 6 or 7 glorious hours straight!). I really wanted to try to hold off on starting solids until about 9 months but I am becoming exhausted! I have read many babies go through a growth spurt around this age so I'm assuming this is the reason. My questions are : 1) Does the nursing slow down a bit once the growth spurt is over? and 2) If you do introduce a bit of solids does it help them sleep through the night a bit better?...I plan on breastfeeding until she is at least 2 for sure so I am wondering when this gets a tad easier. For the record I love breastfeeding and it has gone very well from the beginning, however I am losing a lot of sleep and can not do anything for longer than an hour or so without her getting cranky and wanting to nurse.
Totally sounds like a growth spurt, and I remember going through something very similar with my now 18 mo old (we also waited til 9 months before introducing any solids).

1) Yes! The growth spurt is just increasing your milk supply. Once the spurt is over baby goes back to nursing in tidy little batches (and I found nursing more quickly, fewer times).

2) I haven't noticed a direct correlation between solids and sleep, but you may want to check out what kellymom has to say on the subject http://kellymom.com/

Hang in there, during growth spurts (even when you KNOW it's a growth spurt) it's still so weird and disconcerting! Especially when you're tired. On growth spurt days just throw all your plans and chores out the window, snuggle up with baby and rest. :)

#3 ·
Is there a reason why you want to delay solids? You could offer, then follow her lead. She might be a voracious eater, and this might help her sleep better. Or she might just want to play with food and continue nursing a lot. I would offer food and let her decide.

#5 ·
I wouldn't give solids close to bedtime. If anything I'd be afraid it would keep them up with an upset tummy, it's hard to digest new things when they're little. By all means, offer a little veggies and fruit here and there though.

Can you cosleep and feed side lying? I get to stay mostly asleep while mine nurses that way. I start him off in his room and join him or bring him to my bed when he wakes the first time.

Schedule yourself lightly during this time, it should be over before long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.