Breastfeeding, pumping and going back to work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi folks,  I'm looking for some feedback and experience from other mothers.  My plan is for my baby to breastfeed exclusively until 6 months and then to continue breastfeeding for as long as we can and want to.  I will be going back to work when my baby is 3 months old and have the option of taking him with me to the office.  I will probably do this so we can keep breastfeeding and to save on childcare.  There may be certain days when I have a meeting or activity I can't bring him to, so he will probably be with his dad or another caretaker for a half-day every once in a while.  Does anyone have experience taking their baby to the office?  I've read about it some and it sounds like babies usually don't cause much hassle in the office - since they cry way less if they are with mama and getting breastfed and changed on demand.  For the most part I'd probably keep him on me in a sling while I worked at my computer and maybe have something near my desk I can lay him down on every once in a while.

But I have also figured that I will want to pump milk some.  Obviously, I will need to for the times when I have to leave him with Dad or another caretaker so I can go to a work activity that might not be the best to take him to.  And I figure that he will spend some time alone with Dad if I want to go out on my own for a bit.  So we will probably want a few feedings worth of pumped milk on hand most of the time, but won't necessarily be going through as much as a mom who is returning to work without her baby. I guess I'm really confused about how to make a pumping schedule around this?  Should I just pump whenever needed to keep 3-4 feedings worth of milk on hand at all times? (Does that seem like enough if it is unlikely we will be apart for more than 4 hours at a time?)

If that is all the pumping I will really be doing, do I need a fancy electronic pump?  Would a hand pump be enough?

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was able to take my daughter to work with me until she got bigger and more active and I realized I needed some time in the office where I could work uninterrupted. (I had this idea that she would sleep a, lot of the time.. And she did, but only if I held/wore her, which is great, but complicated things at times!) I think we moved her to part-time day care around 7.5 months, a few days a week, and then my hubby & I took turns having her with us, so at that point she needed more milk & I had to pump more often. I honestly can't say I ever got into a real routine with pumping. I had oversupply issues those first few months, so sometimes i pumped just enough to relieve some pressure and ended up with a decent amount in the freezer. it was a bigger issue down the line when she was getting closer to a year and that freezer stash was low... had to make sure I remembered to pump enough for those days she was in day care. once she hit a year, I transitioned her to cows milk while at day care.
In the situation you are describing, I think having 3-4 servings on hand would be sufficient ( tho the tricky part is figuring out how much they'll eat in your absence! without fail, no matter how much I leave for my son, he guzzles the whole bottle down and looks for more, and dh has to thaw some from the freezer. I stay at home since the birth of the boy. smile.gif.) I'd think the less expensive pump would work, though I don't have any experience with those to be able to make any recommendations.
Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm still nursing my daughter, who will turn 3 in September ( yup, tandem nursing with her and my son.) never really planned it that way, planned to make it to a year, as recommended, and then see what happened. but it's a rewarding experience on so many levels, and she still seems to need the comfort of it. ( when you have a newborn who needs to eat every 2-3 hours, you may question why anyone would want to do long term breastfeeding, but get past those first few months and it gets so much easier! :-) And it helps with a lot of toddler melt down situations. a great tool to have!)

( typing on my phone, and the formatting is acting really weird for some reason, so please ignore all the extra spaces and any other typos!)
#3 of 3 Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the feedback, Tekagirl!  Good to hear from a mom who took their baby back to work with them.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page