Collecting Colostrum for Newborn-- Anyone BTDT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After seeing an LC for suspected IGT, I have been tasked with getting familiar with manual expression now (38wks). Apparently, her clients and the women she meets through the birth center's education program seem to ALL benefit from casually practicing this before having their babies (particularly interesting is that none have had early labor due to this stimulation...). 

This has led her to recommend to women with IGT that they get LOTS of practice with manual expression in order to stimulate the breasts and build confidence that there is at least SOME food there. 

She even suggested that if I am getting good at it, I should try collecting the colostrum in a syringe and freezing it, so that if baby has trouble nursing or if something goes awry at my birth and I can't BF her (I have some risks that are likely to lead to a c-section), they can supplement her with my colostrum rather than with formula. 

I am up for trying this, and after a little of trial and error have gotten a few drops, but I am just wondering if anyone has experience with manually expressing before birth with suspected IGT? 

I am not stressing out about it too much, but I do want to give it a fair try so I can say I did what I could whenever we see what % I am able to provide for her. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Interesting question.  I had very low supply the first time around, so I wouldn't even know what to expect as far as a usual amount of colostrum that *could* be expressed.  At almost 36 weeks I can express a few drops (I was curious), and the midwife seems to think that's a very good sign, but how you would collect such a small amount is a mystery to me.  I'll be watching this thread for my own curiosity too!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, so far it's too small an amount to do much with it. Her suggestion for collection though was a colostrum cup (which she gave me) or a spoon and a plastic syringe from the pharmacy (if you ask for it, they are free).

I think the idea is to express it into the cup or spoon, then suck it up via syringe, store the syringe in the fridge for a few sessions of collecting and up to 48hrs, and then freeze it.

However, I am still only getting a few drops, so I haven't tried collecting it yet.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I expressed for my second babe because I had GDM. I just sucked the drops straight off my nipple with the syringe.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page