Switching from formula to breastfeeding, need some help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 3.5 months old. He was in the NICU when he was born and then up In pedeatrics for another week, having been mostly bottle fed the whole time. I tried to bf, but my baby had trouble latching and requests to see a lactation consultant went ignored.
Fast forward 3 months. I'm slowly rebuilding my milk supply - it only seems to come in on the right, any ideas why? I've been hand expressing but I'm not getting much when I hand pump on either side, and I can't afford a pump.
Also, I'm finding that bfing is making the formula schedule wacky - he either always wants to eat or he never does. The goal is to eliminate formula feeding eventually, but I'm pretty sure I'm not producing enough for him to be satisfied yet. Does anyone have any ideas on evening the feeding out? I'm bfing apx every hour to hour and a half, and offering a bottle every 3-4.
Thanks for any help you guys have!
#2 of 5 Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 PM

I have no advice, I just wanted to tell you that you're awesome for not giving up! smile.gif Hang in there mama, I hope you find the advice and support you need!
JenVose and starsmagick like this.

Me + DH  partners.gif And E baby.gif makes three! 3.2.13 stillheart.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM

I urge you to see a lactation consultant! Your pumping output (even with a high quality double electric pump) isn't a reliable indicator of how much baby can extract - they are so much more efficient. At the visit, your LC can weigh baby just before and just after a nursing session to measure how much milk he drank and that will give a good estimate of your supply. Baby refusing some bottles is actually a good sign that maybe he is getting enough at least at some feeds.
Check out www.kellymom.com for great info on breastfeeding.
Particularly http://kellymom.com/category/bf/got-milk/
answers a lot of supply related questions.
I need to run for now but you're doing an amazing thing for your baby.
JenVose likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have health insurance, they most likely cover the cost of a breastpump due to the new healthcare laws. If you don't, depending on what "can't afford it" means, you may qualify for assistance from WIC: Women, Infants and Children, who will also give you a pump to stimulate supply and access to low-cost or free lactation consultants. If your income isn't that low, then maybe a splurge on a mid-level electric pump is doable with some planning. It might be cheaper in the long run to increase your supply than to keep having to buy formula. 

JenVose likes this.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM

As others have suggest a LC, which can be the best option if that is available/affordable to you - if you cannot afford this option, I'd look into a local La Leche League - you can often get the same advice from their leaders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page