Hunger Cues or..? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you take mouth-sucking and tongue pushing movements, rooting, etc. to always mean "I'm hungry!" Or not? If so, do you feed them on demand?

If not, how do you interpret the mouth motions and what do you do about this cue?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 12 Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I would offer from any of those signs and probably offer often anyway even without them. Putting baby to breast will let a mom know immediately whether that is what he wants. Yes I would feed on demand. the easiest I found was keeping baby next to the breast by being in a sling.
#3 of 12 Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely would offer. Babies won't nurse if they're not interested. You can't offer too much or nurse too much. My newborn will refuse if she's not interested but I always feel better offering. Also don't forget that nursing is about so much more than hunger
#4 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just curious, because sometimes our little one makes these cues and then we offer her either breast or bottle (supplenting due to igt) and she refuses both. Sometimes I think it's a matter of taste, like she wants one over the other, but sometimes I have no idea what's going on.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Babies are different. My daughter would take the breast every time. My son refused more than half the time and only ate when really really hungry. It was quite amazing how different they were.
#6 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Springshowers, did your son make rooting movements and hunger cues and then refuse?

If I was just BF'ing I wouldn't worry about it so much because I'd figure supply and deman just take over and balance each other. But with supplementing formula after roughly every other BF session, I worry that the seemingly endless bottles mean she may be overeating out of compulsion and the fact that I can't tell a desire to comfort nurse from genuine hunger.

For example, she is 1wk old and took 24oz of formula yesterday. That seems like a lot, but maybe just because of how much it humbles my supply...

#7 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
It was more when he was upset and crying (not rooting). My dd always took milk then. He rarely did.
#8 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Cynthiamoon, I would offer the breast every time there are cues. If the breast is rejected and there's more rooting/fussing then you can supplement because it's not comfort that baby wants but food.
Springshowers likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 PM

if the baby is getting to the point of crying/fussing they are past the early ques and are upset and will have a harder time nursing because they have to settle down first. it is usually pretty important to watch for those first very early ques so they don't get to the crying phase.

if you can only comfort nurse and must supplement with formula it doesn't hurt to offer the breast first, and if the baby seems to actually want to eat then feed them, and then offer the breast for comfort afterwards.

also, just because you can only pump small amounts, that isn't really and indicator of how much milk you are actually making. that doesn't mean you should not supplement if that is what your baby needs, just saying you never know how many ounces you truly make because babies are much better at getting milk out than any pump. :)

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#10 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Can you get to a LLL meeting or nursing group meeting?  Sometimes it's helpful for a leader to see what's going on for the best advice, though it sounds like rooting to me.  If you scroll down this article there's stuff on support http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lviss2-3-2009p4.html  You may already be aware of it :)  

I'd still keep offering breast, and wear in a sling/as much skin contact as possible.  kellymom has some info/ideas as well to help.  

Whatever you do, do not be too hard on yourself.  

Not sure on formula/amount.  It goes by weight, but if she's getting some breastmilk, it will change-here's a general-  http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-how-much-formula-your-baby-needs_9136.bc  I would offer breast first and then formula, because if she gets full with formula, she wont' latch on to nurse.  

#11 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I always offer breast first, and usually catch her before she gets cranky. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am seeing an awesome LC that is helping us an our pediatricians are very BF focused, and glad that I am trying to increase my supply in hopes of cutting down the supplement.

#12 of 12 Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 AM

That is fantastic your pediatrician is bf friendly.  Some just tell you to give up, even if you don't have a real situation, like you do.  There are foods and herbs you can take too to help, you never know what will help.  I'm guessing that you have family or dh support too and that's wonderful.  It makes a world of difference in your choices.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page