How many times? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Ok at 9wks old I was lucky to get 45mins of down time from having a child attached to my boob.  She nursed every hour and a half but it lasted 30-40mins thus not much time in between.  At night? Forget it - I was couch bound from 6-10pm when she'd finally conk out for 2 hours only to start all over.  She was 99% height and weight until she was about 7 mos, then she leveled off.  Doubled her birth weight by just over 2 mos, tripled before a year, but is gaining much slower these days.  DH adjusted and knew that during night cluster feeds he needed to help me out and bring food, water, magazines, feed the animals, etc.  At night he would refill my water bottle every couple hours.  He wanted to be part of the bonding but he understood that on demand feeding was best for her so he helped in whatever way he could.  His family was pushier about wanting him to be able to feed her from a bottle and I set them straight a few times.  When I went back to work part time she was 6mos old and only needed one bottle during my 5 hours away so that was easy enough to pump for my FIL to give her, and then at 9mos she stopped asking so I just stopped pumping and nursed right before leaving and right when I got home.  She woke up more frequently at night for a few weeks to make up for it but it worked out fime for us.  I still feed her on demand and she will be 2 in Nov.  The benefit now is that I can ask her to wait for me to finish what I'm doing or wait til we get home from grocery shopping and she understands.

My pedi (no longer go there) suggested once that I night wean DD and let her cry it out at like 4mos bc her weight gain was more than sufficient.  I must have looked at her like she had ten heads.  Sure people assume my LO is 3 (combination of size and language), but I could care less if they say it in a rude way.  It's my kid, she's perfectly healthy and it's none of their business how big she is.  (For the record she's 28lbs and 34" - not what I'd consider huge but apparently some think she's a giant....).  So keep doing what you're doing and listen to your baby!

MichelleZB likes this.
#32 of 33 Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The above is a lovely description of a normal nursing relationship. Rock on, Sassyfirechick!

My son, who at 9 weeks was still nursing for 14 minutes every 45 minutes, is now 21 months. He goes to daycare and is happy to go without nursing for 8 hours. On days he is home, however, he still nurses every 2 hours. He is the healthiest kid I know.

sassyfirechick likes this.
#33 of 33 Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 8 weeks. I have been supplementing with formula because my milk was really low because my body was in major recovery from birth trauma. My midwife suggested a feeding schedule at 2 weeks old and I did it because I didn't know better. I regret it now. But, now he is hungry about every 2-2.5hrs ish. My milk is finally increasing (we have been using almost always SNS) and now that it is increasing, I feed on demand, which turns out to be more than once every 2-3hrs, to strengthen breastfeeding relationship and up my milk, both which is working. Anyways, my son is also "big" at 12lbs (born at 9) and 64cm at 8 weeks. I agree with scheduled feedings if feeding formula but as far as breast feeding goes, feeding in demand is the way to go!
rielly likes this.

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page