In what unusual places have you breastfed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I suspect for a lot of us they will be while traveling. orngbiggrin.gif

I have breastfed in an old military fort, and while riding in a horse-driven carriage . . . hmm not that interesting. Ooh, I know! I breastfed standing up in a glass-bottomed boat while we were over a shipwreck.

What about you?
#2 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Once you've breastfed somewhere, in retrospect, it doesn't seem that unusual.  At least to me, babies are just hungry when and where they are hungry!

Because DS1 wouldn't take a bottle, I have BF'd so many different places!  Airplanes (one 6 hour flight was particularly fun.  DS1 was not feeling well and I stood at the front of the plane nursing him and bouncing for much of the flight.  The flight attendents were so understanding!), airports, my workplace, on a hiking trail, while furniture shopping (babe in the carrier), while shopping at Toys R Us (babe in the carrier), while hiking (babe in carrier), in church at weddings and at a first communion, at the farmer's market, at the mall, at the post office, at the library, at the Zoo, at the pool...Anywhere I went with DS1 in the first year and a half or so, I've probably nursed there!

Probably the must unusual would be in the car while travelling down the highway, with DS strapped into his car seat and me leaning over to nurse him.  He HATED his car seat and this was sometimes the only way to get from A to B without screaming leading to puking.  So that one was done many, many times and now doesn't seem that unusual to me at all!

Maiasaura likes this.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The UN building in Geneva was memorable, but mainly because they stopped the entire tour and everyone had to sit down in a huge, important room with frescos and so on, because it was the most comfortable for us.  I do seem to remember them insisting that everyone sat down. And then, surreally, dp, who was working there and hadn't known we were coming on a tour that day, wandered past and came to find out what was going on.

It was very kind of them because I'd just have soon have sat on the floor of the corridor, as usual.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#4 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In the crowd while Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes performed... with baby wearing noise-cancelling baby banz headphones of course. And he drifted off to sleep.

Mama to J, born 9/4/2012. Some of the things we are into: co-sleeping, breastfeeding, & the Montessori method.

Visit my Montessori and natural parenting blog: http://milkweedmontessori.com/

#5 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

prtty much everywhree I went the last 4 years:

on a volcano, in very small and large airplanes, ships, with snowshoes on, during work meetings, dental appointments, conferences, museum, farms...

#6 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I have bf'd everywhere I go. It gets particularly interesting when combined with babywearing, I love bf using the RS, grocery store, Walmart, six flags, carnival, camping, lake, river, pool, the mall... Like a PP said, as long as there are hungry babies, moms will be BFing wherever need be ;-)

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#7 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Nursing at the milking demonstration at the state fair just made me giggle.
#8 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Le Louvre. 

#9 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM

The most unusual nursing location I can think of is a Catholic confessional.  At my church it is a separate room outside the sanctuary, not the "wooden box" that some churches have. No priest was present, it was just the most private place I could find when my baby needed to nurse during Mass.  I know other mothers that have nursed right in the middle of church services, but I just prefer to be without an audience if I can avoid it.

#10 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM

With my one month old son at a woodworkers guild meeting, surrounded by only men.  For me, as a female woodworker, it was truly the defining moment as a female in a male trade.  Nursing, leaking breast milk, still bleeding from birth, changing diapers and babywearing while learning about a very specific woodworking joint called a sliding dovetail.  

#11 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 PM

I nursed my 13 month old daughter in the middle of the Mall of America in Minneapolis. I am happy to report that it was blissfully uneventful. I received no glares and my daughter was nourished. Way to go, USA :-). 

#12 of 12 Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 PM

We were visiting Yosemite National Park when my son was 3 years old. I remember being in the cafeteria at Yosemite Village around 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and all the toddlers (except my son) were throwing some awesome tantrums. They had all missed their naps, being in a strange place without their usual stuff to calm them down. Earlier, we had nursed in the car in a quiet parking lot, where he had fallen asleep and I had napped near him in the front seat. He had his familiar thing with him everywhere he went. I know it is not unusual to nurse your toddler in a parked car, but the sight of all those upset toddlers in the cafeteria made me think of that fond memory of Yosemite ........

Tags
Travel , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page