why am i embarrassed - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it might be more difficult to nurse in the ergo if the breast on the smaller side but I wouldn't let that stop me trying! I nursed in the ergo from 2 (or 3) months onward. Basically, I'd pull my boob out (size E or D at the time) and literally put it in the direction of DD's mouth. It was winter so I had a jacket on top of the ergo so you couldn't see anything from the side, and I'd put up the cover attached to the ergo so no one can see anything from the top. Babies don't have to be in a horizontal position to nurse, they can nurse sort of lying vertically on you. 

As to feeling exposed, I agree with the OP, I really did not like feeling my boob hanging out there. What I did is I either had scarf around my neck that I used to cover the cleavage or a small burp cloth. That way the upper part of my breast is covered but not my baby's head. 

And honestly, breastfeeding in public is good practice for all the embarrassing things that will happen in public: crying, throwing tantrums, throwing up... after a (very short) while, I just stopped worrying what other people thought, there was simply no time/energy left for that luxury :)

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyKay View Post

And honestly, breastfeeding in public is good practice for all the embarrassing things that will happen in public: crying, throwing tantrums, throwing up... after a (very short) while, I just stopped worrying what other people thought, there was simply no time/energy left for that luxury smile.gif
Yes, very much!! I feel like since becoming a mom, I simply don't have the time/energy to worry about what strangers think. What matters is what my kids think smile.gif
#33 of 36 Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM

I too found it embarrassing at first. It isn't as easy as it would seem to discretely feed a baby, especially if they let go often to look around:-) Traveling alone with my son on multiple flights got me over it. There was just no way to be bashful and my son's comfort trumped that of myself and my fellow passengers.I just fed him as much as he liked. So many people commented about what a great traveler he was and how quiet he was during the flights.
I want to add one thing about our perception of people staring. That may be our own insecurity and not that the onlooker is necessarily judging us. I caught myself staring at a young mother who happened to be nursing in public a couple of days ago. I didn't intend to make her uncomfortable.I just got caught in my own memories of nursing my son and probably didn't look away as fast as I should have.
I nursed my son for 15 months. I am really proud of that and was also ready to stop. It was a huge gift for me to be able to do it and it went by so fast!
#34 of 36 Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

PP, A scarf is a great idea!

I don't NIP much, but I've come to appreciate a cover, as well as easily accessible clothes.  Yes, a cover screams nursing mom -- more so than simply being discreet. But if I want to promote breastfeeding, than it may as well scream it.  Plus, I don't have to be exposed.  I have a really fast flow, so my babes pull of a lot.  I find a strap around my neck with a rigid section in it allow better airflow and a view of my baby.  

#35 of 36 Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM

The thing about pervy people watching you is that they are actually there, all the time, everywhere, but we don't notice unless we're breastfeeding.  It's a sad reality of our existence that women are treated like sex objects a lot of the time, but if we're wearing a short skirt and heels, being objectified seems normal, even flattering.  It's when we're in a place of specifically not wanting to be treated that way, such as being on a dark street at night, or breastfeeding our baby, that the attention starts to feel creepy.  The problem is the people who chose to look at a woman that way, not the woman herself. 

I decided that I wouldn't let someone else's pervy inclinations change the way I dress, act, walk, live etc. a long time ago, and I'm certainly not going to let someone else influence my nursing relationship due to their lack of insight and evolution.  I wear a nursing tank and tshirt for my own comfort, not that of others.

Breastfeeding *is* a feminist issue.

#36 of 36 Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I used to feel that way, but it's gotten easier and easier the more I NIP. I can say that I have never had anyone stare or make a rude/inappropriate comment. Mostly people don't even seem to notice or if they do, they smile and walk on by. I have a list of comebacks in my head for the day when someone says something nasty but fortunately I've never had to use them. LOL

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breastfeeding Nursing Your Baby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page