Snacks while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently nursing my 2 week old son and occasionally my 2yo son. A couple days ago, I noticed I was losing weight a little more quickly than I'd like and was hoping to get some nutritious snack ideas. Does anyone have any tips for easy to assemble snacks that I can eat throughout the day so I'm not accidently starving myself?

Wife to B partners.gifsince 6/2004, Mama to T wave.gif(10/11) and 1sttri.gif (8/13). We:signcirc1.gifbftoddler.gifmalesling.GIFfemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif

#2 of 12 Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

How about nuts? Cashews, almonds you don't have to peel and can just keep the can near your nursing spot? How about some cheese or soymilk (if you're nondairy)? 

#3 of 12 Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Cheese, nuts, avocados. pastured eggs are quick and easy to fix. So are raw cheese quesadillas. I use spelt tortillas or w.w. tortillas. I try to make extra at dinner that I can heat up quick the next day or 2 for snacks. Also granola with yogurt or milk. Hope that gives you some new ideas :)

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like having a glass of kefir as my midnight BF'ing snack. I usually step out into the living room to nurse the first time DD wakes up and get a glass then.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 AM

During the day, I'm still figuring it out too, but make- ahead things like hard boiled eggs and oatmeal often make for the best breakfasts.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Trail mix with nuts and cereal is my go-to item of choice.
#7 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM

I would hard-boil a dozen eggs all at once.  Easy high-protein snack.  Yum.

#8 of 12 Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 PM

When ds was tiny, I loved (LOVED!) pita bread filled with a can of tuna mixed with olive oil. Sounds weird maybe, but it was great and since I ripped off only about a third of the top of the pita, it was fantstically easy to eat wih one hand and (too often) without a plate. Maybe you'd enjoy something else inside, but I really recommend the ease of pita bread!
#9 of 12 Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 AM

Let's revive this thread because this mama over here is staaaaaarving! I unlike the OP do not need to worry about weight loss (I wish!) but have a gluten intolerance that is worse because I keep ignoring it and I'm going off dairy because I think it's making my babies' reflux worse. I'm tired of the SUPER fussy evenings and hope eliminating or at least reducing helps. Ideas?

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#10 of 12 Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

Let's revive this thread because this mama over here is staaaaaarving! I unlike the OP do not need to worry about weight loss (I wish!) but have a gluten intolerance that is worse because I keep ignoring it and I'm going off dairy because I think it's making my babies' reflux worse. I'm tired of the SUPER fussy evenings and hope eliminating or at least reducing helps. Ideas?

Same here....I'm gluten-intolerant AND my son is allergic to dairy. I feel like there's nothing left to eat! I tend to snack on nuts, fruit, and Organic Food Bars or Lara bars. I've been meaning to make jerky from grass fed beef when I have the chance. ...and cultured coconut milk...and GF/DF lactation cookies....and the list goes on, lol.

#11 of 12 Old 10-20-2013, 11:26 AM

I've been looking for an organic beef jerky that's low in sugar (2g per oz or so is ok) and not crazy expensive and I think it's a fantasy. Anyone have any tips?

Other than this, I've just not been doing well with snacks. I mostly go hungry a lot and then have 2 big meals at random. greensad.gif

#12 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

I've been looking for an organic beef jerky that's low in sugar (2g per oz or so is ok) and not crazy expensive and I think it's a fantasy. Anyone have any tips?

Other than this, I've just not been doing well with snacks. I mostly go hungry a lot and then have 2 big meals at random. greensad.gif

Yep. 2 big meals here too. And trying to give up dairy and gluten makes this even harder. Ugh!

Heres a recipe where you'd use a mix of brown rice flour and almond meal to keep it gluten free. Chocolate chips should be dairy free but of course read all ingredients:
http://cornerbungalowstyle.com/2012/09/08/lactation-cookies/

Yum!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page