EBF Not gaining weight, 4 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My 4 month old EBF fell off his curve for weight gain. Just had his check up today and I don't think he's gained for about a month. Height and head size are good. I haven't been pumping. Really don't want to. I don't feel like he's really satisfied. I feel like I'm just out of milk when he's done. I have an extra check up in 2 weeks. Don't know if I can make it to lactation clinic this week.
#2 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Have you tried any dietary changes to increase your supply. Oatmeal, flaxseed and brewers yeast are all good for milk-making and there are various herbs and teas as well. You can google lactation cookies for recipes or just eat porridge :-)

You might also try offering the breast more frequently. I offered hourly when my LO was awake after she lost some weight.

Feeding at night is also important as prolactin levels are highest between 1am and 5am. If he is not waking you could try dream feeding. If you don't co-sleep already it may be easier to have him in bed with you for this.

Make sure you are well rested, nourished and hydrated as well.

All the best.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How your breast feels after nursing isn't a sign of how much he's getting. Maybe try going to a lactation/breastfeeding drop-in meeting where you can weigh your son before and after a feeding to see how much he's transferring. Also, breast fed babies don't confirm to growth charts hat many doctors have. They are designed for formula babies. I want to say that it's known that BF babies grow faster in the first 3-4 months then slow down a bit, while FF babies gain slower at first but put weight on more gradually. He could be totally normal'
#4 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mommas.
Kate, Have started some mothers milk tea. Also offering more often. We do co-sleep. What is dream feeding?
Chipi, I do want to try another scale. I have had issues with ped's scale before and it's only one number putting up a flag. I hope I can make it to drop in clinic but it's not close and not at a great time with traffic and now construction. I am going to get a pump tomorrow.
#5 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Dreamfeeding is when when you offer them a feed without them having woken up for it. If you just sort of roll him over and brush your nipple on his lips he might attach and feed for a while in his sleep.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Baby wearing in a sling or carrier on your body, and anything that allows your baby to be close to your breast, such as co-sleeping, should help increase feeds as well as milk production. There is nothing odd about an infant feeding a few times an hour. In traditional societies, that have little to no outside 'expert' influence, their babies nurse 2-4 times an hour. The more often the breast is emptied, the higher the fat content of the milk. That is because foremilk takes time to accumulate. Therefore when milk is consumed often, the Hindmilk is readily available.

How does baby's latch feel? Is it comfortable? Do you note swallowing, gulping? There is a condition called tongue tie in which the tongue is 'tied' by a piece of skin and prevents proper latch. Baby needs to have a mouthful of nipple and compress beyond the nipple, the areole, in order to transfer milk. Improper transfer could prohibit weight gain. Did baby gain well for the first couple of months?
#7 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth the archives on LLL are full of people talking about having the same problem... So I'm guessing the growth spurt that happens at four months is accompanied by what must be a normal pattern for EBF babies...a change in the growth curve, increased nursing, or both. At any rate, I have the same problem. Baby dropped lower on the growth chart And he wanted to eat more for about a week. The ped wasn't concerned and said he looked fine to her, so no talk about supplementing with formula.
#8 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Fortunately there has been no talk of formula. Only pumping and giving. Haven't been able to get it in him though. Tried sippy cup and saringe. No go. Not into bottle. First babe weaned early so I want to hold off on the bottle. I've been working with WIC and they have been great. His one week apt was good! Thinking about calling doc and skipping that apt.
#9 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Baby did gain well first months. Had tongue tie operation at 3 months. We were off and on the nursing shield after that. Totally on before. Just got off off of it now so he is getting more breast in his mouth. I think this has really helped. He's faster too. Things are much better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page