Tell me about becoming a certified LC... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering starting the training to become a certified lactation consultant and I want to hear from other mom's who have done pathway 3 (in other words, those who weren't already RN's, or other HCP's). I have three children ages 7 and under and I'm a home school mom, so I have a pretty full plate. Becoming an LC is something I've wanted to do for years and my husband recently encouraged me to basically get off the fence about the stuff I'm interested in and start pursuing it. :-) He works from home and is supportive, and we're in a place where we can afford it financially right now, but might not be able to down the road...so it's sort of a "now or not for a long time" type situation.

Like I said, I'm just curious to hear the experiences of other moms who have basically gone back to school (though most of the coursework can be done online now - I'll most likely do the bulk of it through Lactation Education Resources and then some through the distance learning programs at local colleges - for general ed) and followed the program to certification and beyond. Are you working as an LC? Do you work out of a hospital, through a community program like WIC or just with private clients? Was the amount of hours in training worth it?

Really curious to hear your stories...
Thanks!
-elle

#2 of 5 Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I wanted to do it a number of years ago, and there was really only one pathway open to me.  I realized I would have to take some classes, and that was my hangup.  I sent away for my college transcript, and enrolled at a community college.  So I would have to take anatomy & physiology, but the pre-requisite for that was cell biology with lab, and there was a pre-requisite for that which I didn't need, and technically I took cell biology in college, but didn't get a good grade so I figured I'd have to retake it before I could take Anatomy, and that was only one class I needed.  And I registered for the class online, but then I would have to take the lab at the school, and, big surprise, all the labs were filled.  So I'd have to wait a semester just to get the pre-requisite before I could even get the class I needed.

Of course, I could have tried another school, one that wasn't local or was online only.  I don't know what they'd do if you needed to do labs, though.  I still think about it, but it always seems like there are plenty of people trying to become IBCLCs in my area, and there is not the market to support them all with jobs. I feel like I live in a constrained market, however.

#3 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Viola, the general Ed classes and possible pre-reqs has been an obstacle for me too. I read about a few places where you can do them all online so I'm looking into that right now.

#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM

I'm very interested in this as well. I am planning on becoming a doula but I also want to be a LC as well. I've found help becoming a doula, but not when it comes to the LC. 

Sasha 

#5 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mushymommy, OP here :-) I researched this for weeks and ultimately I've put the plan on the backburner indefinitely. Instead I'm pursuing becoming a leader with La Leche League. The amount of actual class time required to become an LC isn't feasible right now for my life with three kids. I talked with an LC who went through the UCSD program and she said it's basically impossible to get someone to mentor you through the clinical hours part of pathway 3. And for the UCSD program the # of hours each week was just totally out of reach for me (they basically have you doing clinical, plus classes all at the same time. Great because you're finished in 1 year, not great because only single girls or women who's children are older and in school have that kind of time).
La Leche is a great option if you just want to help support other breastfeeding moms and the model is very much centered around peer support.
Maybe down the line I'll be able to put in the hours to become an LC or a doula...but with three little kids and home schooling, LLL leadership is the better pathway for me.

Good luck with your doula training!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page