pump or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am 36 weeks pregnant with #2. With dd I had a difficult time bfing, partly because of my own anxieties about it, but mostly because my mother was diagnosed with cancer when dd was 4 months old and we were just getting a good rythem. Dd and I ended up living with my mom for 6 weeks, and through the stress of several surgeries and load of appts I couldn't keep up my supply. So by the time we got home I had a pretty low supply and dd was on 3/4 formula. Then she started to refuse to bf... I tried frantically to boost my supply, got bad advice from a lactation consultant, and ultimately ended up stopping what had become me exclusively pumping maybe 4 oz a day... to save my sanity! smile.gif

From the beginning I was worried about pumping because I was afraid of an oversupply and I didn't want to give dd bottles if I could help it. A friend of mine told me to pump from the beginning, and that she always did and had 2x as much as she needed, but she worked so I understood. but might that create an over supply problem? What do other people do? im a sahm so I didn't see the need to have a stock pile of bm but after what happened last time Im wondering what I should do. I would love to just bf directly and not have to worry but I don't know if that is realistic... any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Generally you'll make as much as you need if you keep putting baby to the breast and don't put your body through too much otherwise. Focus on feeding baby above dealing with pumping, once that is worked out you could do a little if it's not a hassle. If you pump a bottle each day, same time each day (morning is easiest) your body will get used to making enough for that bottle's worth, too. It might be good to have about 32oz in the back of the freezer just in case something happened to separate you and baby, do it each day for a week or 2 getting a little at a time. Maybe in that 4-6 weeks old time before a big growth spurt, then baby will welcome the extra supply when you stop pumping.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about pumping a huge stash if you aren't going to be working, but for your peace of mind and some occasional breaks if you like, it might be worth pumping occasionally. I agree with the PP, don't worry about pumping until you are in a good place with BFing.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks to both of you, your advice makes sense. I just don't want to end up strapped to that dang machine again!

User Tag List