Weight Loss + Hyporthyroidism - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mums,

Im from South Africa and really am hoping for some genuine responses.

I have hypothyroidism and have known since I was 17, I am now 27. I have battled to lose weight since I was diagnosed even though I am on meds. Doctors here are funny though, they say if you are on meds and your bloodwork is normal then you will lose weight - or not!

I have just had my second baby and the weight is not budging. I really appreciate if you are going to say "shame but you had a baby so go easy on yourself" etc but I don't wanna hear that. I have been seeing a dietician for 6 weeks as well as exercising moderately 4 - 5 days a week for 40 minutes. I have lost NOTHING! Ok I have lot my preggy weight, but I still weigh 98 and need to be 70. But it is not budging.

So basically I am hoping for somebody to tell me that they have the reason why? Or that they also battled to lose weight when breastfeeding or even that my Hypothyroidism plays a role.

Please, I Am So Beyond DESPERATE!

#2 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

PS, my daughter is now 5 months old!

#3 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Managing your thyroid with meds means you can lose weight not that you automatically will. I read a lot of Paleo lifestyle info when I resolved to help DH to lose weight, and when we all switched to closer to that diet I lost more than I thought I needed to. It was 4 months after my 3rd son was born. Now, 4 months after that, I haven't weighed so little since I was 12. I did weigh 70kg, thought I needed to be 65, but ended up 60. Cutting carbs down a LOT but eating as much protein and fat as I feel like made me lose it. We cut out all wheat and reduced most other grains and starches. We switched from cereal to eggs and from sandwiches to salads, and added larger portions of meat and veggies instead of having starches with dinner. Switched away from crackers and chips for snacks to trail mix and jerky, fruit, veggies and dip. Some days we don't have dessert and if we do it's lightly sweetened with honey or truvia, and any baked goods are made from ground almonds and coconut flour. But loads of good fats are fine (even from coconut and animal sources), and we eat as much meat as we like in fact I can't quite get as much protein as I aim for usually. Basically I go for under 100g carbs and over 100g fats, everything else is just choose good foods and eat only when hungry and stop when full.

Exercise is good to use energy up. But overdoing cardio can trick your body into thinking you are in a stressful situation and it holds on to weight (cortisol hormone), try to go for short durations of high intensity stuff (sprints, racing with your older kid, playing hard), long low intensity (casual walking), and as much challenging strength training as you like (pushups and squats, lifting kids, carrying stuff etc).

ETA: the benefits were more than weight to our changes by the way, DH doesn't get sore after exercise anymore, his digestive problems have gone away, both of us don't have high energy and low energy as much just even good levels all day, and we don't get hungry as fast. His headaches have gotten way less frequent too. Regular sweets taste too sweet now and some veggies even taste sweet. And before, I had been bored with our meals and this was a refreshing change.

#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Could you do this high protein diet when breastfeeding? Strange as I totally crave meat! Will look into a Paleo diet, thanks!

#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yeah I've been breastfeeding all along. You do need to take care to eat enough, at first it's strange with big portions of meat and veg and all the extra fat (olive oil, coconut oil, bacon, butter, avocados) but skipping those grains and such leaves a lot to make up for. And I wouldn't go ultra low carb while BF, keep having fruit and sweet potatoes and carrots and I don't stress over a little rice or fresh corn here and there. Oh we cut way down on dairy also, but some butter and yogurt doesn't hurt us any.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page